Pitbulls attack mother, kills child(4 years old)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Not all dog/child deaths are from pitbulls. In this case the 4 year old was killed from a doberman mix(that the family just got).

(link shows video only)
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/10/25/child-killed-by-family-dog-pkg.wood
Families' fault for not properly vetting the dog and gauging temperament beforehand. You HAVE to put all new dogs through the annoyance tests...lay on them, gently tug on an ear...push them around...a dog will show its true colors almost immediately. Every dog I've ever owned had this done, hence why I don't own a female pitbull right now that an Ex brought home.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Families' fault for not properly vetting the dog and gauging temperament beforehand. You HAVE to put all new dogs through the annoyance tests...lay on them, gently tug on an ear...push them around...a dog will show its true colors almost immediately. Every dog I've ever owned had this done, hence why I don't own a female pitbull right now that an Ex brought home.
Unless it is a pupper?

I would also advocate those tests for anyone adopting dogs

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Unless it is a pupper?

I would also advocate those tests for anyone adopting dogs
nope, pups too, though a pup can be learned out of the behavior, an adult dog gets 1 chance with me, you bare teeth, growl or bite and its game over right then and there.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
nope, pups too, though a pup can be learned out of the behavior, an adult dog gets 1 chance with me, you bare teeth, growl or bite and its game over right then and there.
True. The puppy was 6 weeks old and a yorkie so a little aggression is not really an issue being such a small dog and so young

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
You HAVE to put all new dogs through the annoyance tests...lay on them, gently tug on an ear...push them around...a dog will show its true colors almost immediately
Hello; This is good stuff. Can such test be done anywhere and at any time? Any precautions you would suggest when doing this?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hello; This is good stuff. Can such test be done anywhere and at any time? Any precautions you would suggest when doing this?
I've always brought a dog home, let it get used to its surroundings and play around with it, after a few days you attempt to annoy the dog and see its reaction, some animals will just play back or some will show aggression. Precaution is don't have anyone around that could potentially get hurt if the dog snaps and make sure you are paying attention to the animal's behavior 100% to avoid a good bite. Also, keep your face away from his/hers, arms and legs heal better than a nose.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
as a caveat to this as well you want to focus on the places an unknowing child or visitor is likely to touch on the animal-
ears, face, nose, paws are the big ones. Also as I said holding the animal down is another big one as kids tend to climb around on animals with obvious disregard to comfort.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
brought a dog home, let it get used to its surroundings and play around with it, after a few days you attempt to annoy the dog and see its reaction,
hello; You hit right on one of the things I needed to know. So this is likely not a good idea at a kennel, shelter or place where dog might be tense.

How do you arrange to get rid of a dog which fails the test? Can purchased dogs from stores or shelters be turned back in? Or what to do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store