planning on building a big tank, need help pls

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
"Man! I know that already, I hope u understand the entire question from the begining. I could get away with 60cm of height by using 12mm glass, but my question was whether I still can get away with 3 meters long and 1 meters wide by using 12mm thick glass."

Its a bit complicated, as I understand, but basically the height of the water determines the pressure at the base. This is the same regardless of the width and length.

However the greater the width of the tank the greater the force, which should amount to the same pressure per area...

Unfortunately the longer length of the face of the glass the more it will bend and funnily enough the words bend and glass shouldn’t be used in the same sentence...

Other than that with bracing the 12mm will be fine until it is met with a force outside its safety factor.

Hope that clears it all up. :p
thanks for putting it up, which is what I was talking about, I supposed there is no absolute rules or number when calculating the lenght and witdh allowed for certain glass thickness, even here on my area, most tank builder would use estimation and previous experiences when making a tank. I will also look for stronger bracing on the bottom. I'll post pics later on when I begin the project.

cheers

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
yup, I think there should not be any problem with 60cm height using 12mm glass, I've contacted local tank builder and they said they could build the tank using the dimension that I mentioned, but yet again I need to re assure about the safety of the tank. I supposed I could use tempered glass like you mentioned above, but do you think that I can use the same thickness, say 12mm tempered glass on the bottom?
12mm tempered glass or 16mm plate glass for the bottom would be ideal. Tempered glass can't be drilled though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store