Planning on picking up a 15" FL. Gar - which tank?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
x2 what Kevin said.. I had issues with my knife at night either harassing the gar or simply spooking them( they are quiet active nocturnal fish) But bichir as a general rule make great tank-mates. and a 15" FLG should convert to other foods readily particularly if it has tank-mates eagerly eating non-live, try floating foods or peices of fish cut into bite sized chunks. frozen krill are also a big treat for my gar and eagerly eaten, and they get live a few times a month still.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Thanks Amy!
My next question was going to be about converting the gar onto meaty foods, so thanks for anticipating that. Hopefully the transition goes as smoothly as I hope it will. It's nice to know they will learn to accept different foods, because once I get him on tilapia and shrimp, I'd love to throw in the occasional feeder.

The clown knife is a pig, and growing like a weed, but I don't think he's large enough to feel entitled to pick on a 15" gar.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The knife that was harassing my 12"+ gar at the time 2 flg and my cuban was only 8".. but it was also in my 75 so space may have been the main issue. Just something to watch.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Update: The 15" gar I was going to pick up went to a different home. Curse my 70 hour work week! On a positive note, I found a smaller FL Gar in a local pet shop (more money, but not the end of the world). So I picked up my little guy and brought him home on Sunday. He looked a lot bigger in the store, but turns out he's not even 12" yet.

He has yet to eat the tilapia slices I serve nightly, but he's beginning to consider it. I saw him nose a piece around last night and snap at it. Another plus is that I haven't seen any signs of any fighting. Every ones fins look just fine. Fingers crossed.

Any tips on converting this guy off live?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Looks like those tips won't be needed after all. He took a piece of tilapia last night, so hopefully this behavior continues. He's not gorging himself, but I'm sure he'll be as greedy as the knife fish soon enough.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
none... dont pick him up if you dont have a tank big enough....... they need a tank that is atleast 3.5 foot wide by 8 to 10 foot long....
As already pointed out, this is misinformation.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
You're absolutely right garboy. I threw a few stuffed silver sides in there and he way WAY more excited to eat them than the tilapia. Thanks for the reminder. It's been a while since I bought silver sides, so I'd almost forgotten they were an option.

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
You have a 20" tinfoil barb? sorry off topic but it had to be said.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
HAH! No man, though that would be something to dedicate a thread to though. The 180 has: 20" silver, 12" wolf, 9" odoe, 8" barb (he's crazy though, and incidentally, up for adoption!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store