Planning out a small planted tank

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Ok, I am going to set up a small tank, max size would probably be 20 gallons, gotta ask my RA.

Occupants: pair of German Blue rams, 5 dwarf rainbows, 5 rummy nose tetras, 7 neon/cardinal tetras, 3 small corys, and maybe a few other fish, but those will be in there for sure.

As far as the aquascaping goes:

Substrate: Black moon sand and maybe a few rocks.

Decor: A piece of driftwood that can appear to be almost like the trunk of a tree with roots, located near the center and a bit further back in the tank. Two branch-like pieces of driftwood pointing towards the front center of the tank with multiple branches sticking out to create a slightly wild look. Hopefully I can get java moss and java fern to grow on these pieces.

Plants: I'm not too sure yet, but nothing too fancy. It's gonna have to be low lighting plants, I want to create a sort of mountain to valley effect, Taller plants on the outside moving in to shorter grass-like plants in the center. I know that I'm going to have java moss and java fern for sure since this will be my first real planted fish tank, but can anyone help me in trying to figure out what other plants to get that'll do well and help create the look that I'm going for?

I was thinking about using a Nano cube, but being a college student, those are a bit too expensive for my budget. XP

Please help me out with this, I would appreciate it, thanks. :)

It's Me

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Maryland
I have a 20g planted I love the java ferns. I also have a red tiger lotus which is beautiful. Baby dwarf tears are another good option for the front although my German Blue Ram loves to eat it.

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
cmj15;1337603; said:
i would use anubias, crypts, java moss, and java ferns
:iagree:

For low light those are great plants. As for nanocube, it is very pretty pricey indeed. For the same amt of money, you can plant a nice 20 and then some. :) Without low light, you probably won't be running co2, so you can also likely use a regular HOB filter.

But your design sounds good. As for the grass-like plants, my understanding is that most of they require higher light output. (please correct me if im wrong).

Good luck - and make sure to post some pictures once you set it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store