Plant filtration- another proven winner!

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Now you did it, Im going to have to snap some pics of the other side of my tree!

"papyrus, and gammarus shrimp"

Whered you get the Papyrus?

And I Googled the shimp, 'all aquarium fish will eat...'Very interested in this.. Shoot, they can live in my sumps!

piscavore pisces

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I was thinking of putting some pothos roots in my sump in a hydroponics pot and elevating it so the pothos grows out of the sump. Since it's under my stand I'll need to light it. I was thinking of having a little cfl desk lamp under there on a timer. How many hours a day will have the pothos growing like weeds?

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Like weeds? 12 to 16 hours a day. Mine are on a 10 hour on 14hr off cycle. For several months now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is sometimes sold as umbrella palm, as a pond plant.
I picked up 1 small plant from a local club member few years ago, and it has become about a dozen giant plants. It easily outgrows large pots, so I saw the root ball in half, and 1 becomes 2 etc etc
I got it first for my pond, and when overwintering them inside, found they work in window lit tanks and refugiums, as long as a portion of the plant is emerged. (it can also be grown as a house plant, dry )

and yes, the gammarus (sometimes called scuds) occasionally overflow from the refugiums into the tanks providing an extra snack for the fish, they also eat the debris that builds up in the plant roots.
I'll see if I can snap a pic today.
Whered you get the Papyrus?

And I Googled the shimp, 'all aquarium fish will eat...'Very interested in this.. Shoot, they can live in my sumps!

piscavore pisces

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
Since it will be in my sump can i just throw the pothos in the sump and without securing it or planting the roots in a hydroponics pot? I figure just throw the pothos in and it will grow aquatic roots correct?

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
It will grow roots alright. But how big is your sump? My fish occasionally will sever a root here and there that gets into the sump sock. To be safe get some open cell aquarium sponge and 'plant' the pothos on it. That will contain the root system when it gets outa hand.

You have me thinking I need to add some direct to my sump with a low level light on 20h a day. get some super growth going on! (55G sump on a 125/90/30G system)

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Starting from the right side of my 125g desk, sweepinging up to the ceiling over 5' to my 30G above the 125G then to the right to my 90G...Panning down to my 40G breeder with my daughters goldfish then back to the fish desk.

The music sounded way better in person!

[video=youtube;CWL-sdurynQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWL-sdurynQ&list=UUQMIMQNXKpzyrwSWPVsdXEA[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store