Plant only filtration (why not popular in the hobby???)

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
It's a much more efficient and less expensive means of filtering the tank water.
I look at plants as a redundancy mechanism and not substitute to already existing filtration and water changes. A sufficient plant mass will wipe out the water column from a vast array of organic build up, including nitrogen, and as such aiding at excellent water quality but plants can't do it all by themselves. Water changes are still essential to fill in the gaps plants can't.

The biggest benefit I see in plants is that they take up nitrogen at source, and partially and sometimes fully reduce heavy oxygen demanding processes such as nitrification...which as desired and essential it is, has its drawbacks. Nitrification is limited to the amount of oxygen in water and in the filter... That's why a fish tank with plants will always have better water quality than one without, and it is especially important to have plants if one's stock is on the high side....A heavily stocked tank is oxygen deprived by definition...

I feed the fish quite a bit and don't have to worry about uneaten food fouling the water.
Yes, one can get away with a lot when keeping plants...

The water is really near nitrogen free.
I've come to the same conclusion over the years, but I do use a TDS meter to give me an idea where I am at...I like keeping my tank TDS to bare minimum, i.e. my tap water measurement...It tells me if all is working as intended because it measures all dissolved ions in the water. I don't need to know what they are. I need to know if there is build up over time....

compliments of some Guppies and Platys,
I am going to put a face on my nitrogen machines :)

And a couple of videos.

Underwater

And a most recent from today above water

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Sure I will give a update! 6 weeks or so ago I trimmed my plants about 50%, they were getting out of control. Nov 1st I went into the hospital for swollen heart muscles and fluid around the heart. WHile I was in the hospital my fish shed, the dehumidifier decided to fill its own water bucket instead of draining into the 5 gallon bucket so it turned off making the fish water drop to 50 degrees and the humidity to cause mold to grow all over the walls. Then the tanks filer pad got clogged and overflowed and drained the tank to dam near 3".4 of my pangasius catfish died from the cold/low water, one was my pride and joy of 10 years old and 36" long, he was a beast. So as of right now I have only 4 fish left in my 500gal, and that fish might be 10" long. Isnt it nice when everything runs smooth and then for 1 week your hospitalized and **** hits the fan? You didnt ask for a nice update! ;) Im not even old yet either!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Sure I will give a update! 6 weeks or so ago I trimmed my plants about 50%, they were getting out of control. Nov 1st I went into the hospital for swollen heart muscles and fluid around the heart. WHile I was in the hospital my fish shed, the dehumidifier decided to fill its own water bucket instead of draining into the 5 gallon bucket so it turned off making the fish water drop to 50 degrees and the humidity to cause mold to grow all over the walls. Then the tanks filer pad got clogged and overflowed and drained the tank to dam near 3".4 of my pangasius catfish died from the cold/low water, one was my pride and joy of 10 years old and 36" long, he was a beast. So as of right now I have only 4 fish left in my 500gal, and that fish might be 10" long. Isnt it nice when everything runs smooth and then for 1 week your hospitalized and **** hits the fan? You didnt ask for a nice update! ;) Im not even old yet either!
Damn dude I’m sorry to hear all that. Hope your health is improving.

Reactions: J. H.

Terraphyte Tank Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2018
Some of the plants in post #1 are still alive over here. Two of the pothos types.
JK...

I hope this thread isn't dead. I keep several, larger tanks that don't require water changes. I've been using Chinese evergreen house plants for years to filter the nitrogen from the water and just top off the water every couple of days with a gallon or two of distilled water. The fish do very well in the near nitrogen free water and by using distilled water, there's never a build of up minerals. The plants do a much better job of filtration than the mechanical gizmos.

TTG

Terraphyte Tank Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2018
Hello MFK...

Am heavily into planted tanks using house plants to filter the tank water. The system works great. Maintenance is really minimal. One important point though. The house plants only work to filter the water during the day. For the tank to run correctly, you need some kind of a mechanical filter to take over the filtering job at night when the plants rest. I'd recommend either some kind of internal filter or a dual sponge set up.

TTG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store