Plants that will not be eaten by leporinus

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I set up a 125 last month and moved a ton of vallisnera and java moss into it from my old tank.

Then i bought some Leporinus granti, L. steyermarki, and L. sp. Red Norte. Aaand they ate everything green in about a week. I wanted SDs but went with Leporinus because theyre a little different and i wanted plants. Guess I should have done more research haha. Any ideas on plants they wouldnt eat? I'd like to stick with South American stuff if possible.

Pic of the tank attached, they sure cleaned it out.

20220503_091901.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Trial and error will be your best friend here, but like duanes duanes said Leps are herbivorous. Maybe get something like pothos to grow out the top and reduce nitrates.
My fasciatus did well with hornwort for a bit, but eventually it all disappeared.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have had good success with Anubius nana and barteri as well as Anubias Barteri var. Angustifoliat. My jungle val is also thriving.
Having said that. I feed vegetarian and plant based food heavily and have a lot of current to keep them busy.

I have not has other plants survive.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Anubias looks a lot like Anthurium - related?
If so, and if I've not got access to Anubias but the garden's rammed with Anthurium-various... will they drown?
I expect this is a fairly dumb question... but I KNOW that at least a few of you have tried :) duanes duanes , you're livin' tropical - any luck?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Anthurium and Anunias ARE in the same family (Araceae), same as Pothos, peace lilies, philodendrum, and other similar plants, mostly terrestrial but some amphibious and some terrestrial.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A possibility for living plants with Leporinus would be a fast growing plant that you grow in at least two tanks- one where it can live and grow, and the Leporinus tank where they will be present temporarily and replenished as needed (eaten). Water hyacinth or water lettuce come to mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store