PLEASE HELP!!! FISH FUNGUS?

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
My baby female GT has recently had a problem. Her eye is all white and cloudy and there are scrapes and stuff all over one side of her body. WHAT IS THIS? Does anyone know? I can't get very good pictures but ill try. PLEASE HELP

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
Here are some photos, could my JD have mauled her or is it a disease. I can't get very good pictures.

I've only noticed this now, I checked on her about 3 hours ago and this wasn't there. Can a disease develop so fast?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372505954.853751.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372505971.160534.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372505988.121691.jpg

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
Here are some slightly better ones, I did a water test, everything was fine and I put some prime and melafix in for good measure. I've noticed that she is just sitting in one corner of the tank and not eating. Her fin is also slightly torn.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372507094.135473.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372507146.431621.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372507191.271416.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372507234.817768.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Looks like your fish got mauled. Seperate into a hospital tank if available and treat with 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. These fish may not be compatable. What size is the tank?

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
Looks like your fish got mauled. Seperate into a hospital tank if available and treat with 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. These fish may not be compatable. What size is the tank?
its a 66 gallon long and if the JD has mauled her it is really strange. These two fish have layed eggs together! Do you know what could be causing the aggression, they haven't fought badly since they got put in the tank 3 months ago! UPDATE: the Jack Dempsey is definitely doing it, i caught him chomping on her fins and I had to chase him away from her with the algae scraper. HOW WIERD
my hospital tank has a crack in it and there is no where i can get one, since its 10:14 at night in Australia! Is there anyway i can stop them from fighting till tomorrow?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The only thing you can o to stop it (without another tank) is to divide the tank with something like egg crate/light diffuser.
It is not uncommon for fish that have mated to kill each other, especially in a tank where there is no escape. Cichlds usually defend a territory of about 4 square ft, anything smaller is their kill zone.

oscar fish lover2000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
australia
I made a barrier between the two territories with fake plants and it worked well, but unfortunately the GTS wounds were too bad and she didn't last the night. I hate losing fish, and especially a great fish like a green terror. I still don't know what caused them to fight.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
I made a barrier between the two territories with fake plants and it worked well, but unfortunately the GTS wounds were too bad and she didn't last the night. I hate losing fish, and especially a great fish like a green terror. I still don't know what caused them to fight.

The cause would be they are Cichlids. Its a normal thing for them to be territorial any time they feel like it. Some more so then others. Ive seen breeding pairs that have coexisted and breed together all the sudden turn on each other. Its the chances you take anytime when you house more then one of any Cichlid in a tank. Not anything weird and this has happend more times then anyone could ever count.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store