please help me with my aquarium design its driving me insane!

which method should i go with?

• 10mm thick glass plywood bottom no brace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12mm thick glass plywood bottom no brace

• store bought aquarium 10 mm thick, completely glass with extra plywood bottom added, no brace

• STOP YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR DOING IN FACT

• Total voters

bianca hlywa

Feeder Fish
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everybody!

So I am very new at all this and have never really made large aquariums before. But now I am wanting to build an aquarium that is 42 inches wide, 67 inches long and 10 inches high. I calculated that it will hold about 120 gallons of liquid (I am growing a bacteria, its not for fish). It is really important to me to not have a brace for the nature of the project.

I have seen online a lot of people talking about old aquariums holding 125 gallons and being made of 12mm glass, these old models don't have braces but apparently its fine because the glass is so thick. I figure I can use 12mm thick glass for walls ( so I do not need a brace) and have a plywood bottom (to save money) that would be 1.5 inch thick. That bottom would have a 1.5" by 1.5" frame sitting on top of it, with the glass sides held snuggly within the frame (picture of the frame and base, with the glass sitting inside is shown in the below two images). This method of attaching glass to wood is something I have picked up from the DIY king's youtube video on building a 500 gallon tank. The DIY king uses 10mm glass, but he has 3 inch braces lining the tops of the walls. If I went with this method, do you think I would need 12 mm thick glass to not have braces? Or do you think, considering my tank is significantly less large then his, I could get away with using 10 mm thick glass?

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 9.50.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 9.50.34 PM.png

I was going to get the tank built completely out of glass, with the walls being 10mm thick. The designers told me I would need to double up on the bottom pane of glass, but its so expensive. So I was also thinking that instead of building the aquarium myself, I could buy the tank from the designers with only one bottom pane of glass and silicon a 18mm thick piece of plywood to the glass bottom, reinforcing it. The tank is going to sit on the floor, so it will be supported by that as well.

I am just trying to think a lot about cost. Obviously, the cheapest option would be to make my own tank, with the plywood bottom and 10mm thick glass side walls. The next cheapest option would be to buy the pre-made tank and slap a piece of wood to the bottom, the more expensive option i believe would be to make my own aquarium using 12 mm thick glass walls and plywood bottom. The most important thing is that I have no brace.

I AM SO IN NEED OF HELP, and people don't really know what I'm talking about around me. Thank you thank you thank you thank you for giving me the time to read this and I really look forward to hearing from you experts.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Do you need side 360* side views? If not just do the whole thing out of 2x4s and plywood. Or 1 or 2 viewing panels in a full plywood tank. Joey has vids for those too.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If you're not going to have fish in it, does it have to be glass on the sides? You could just make the sides out of plywood also, with 2x4 framing around it. Then, you could just waterproof all of it.

Also, have you though about acrylic? The bottom wouldn't matter much with acrylic because they are supported across the whole bottom.

bianca hlywa

Feeder Fish
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys thank you so much for your answers! Yes it’s important that there are 360 degree views because it’s for a performance which involves the visuals of picking up the bacteria. It is important to me to have a full 360 view of the action. Also I have tried to call
Some acrylic places and it seems
Like acrylic in this size is more
Expensive then anything else thanks again for replying it’s so heartening to have help.

bianca hlywa

Feeder Fish
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think when I’m replying here it’s just to you or Is it public and can the first person who replied to me also see it? So do you have any suggestions about what kinda build I should go with? Thanks for the vocalization of intrigue! I will essentially have a big robotic arm come to pick up the bacterial culture to reveal it to an audience, and then the culture will dry in the lifted position. I’m not sure if this just sounds like obscure contemporary art to you because it’s kind of is so sorry I’m that case to disappoint.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
It's a public forum, everyone sees the replies... Didn't mean to pry. I was just truly curious. Thank you for explaining...

That is really interesting and actually quite refreshing to hear. I can appreciate performance art like that. Cheers!

Also, see if you can possibly rent a tank with those specs, unless you plan to use it long term for other stuff as well...

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
The most important dimension in determining glass thickness is height. At 10" I am pretty sure 10mm glass would be fine even in a rimless set up. Most coral frag tanks are non braced rimless tanks around that height. There is a sticky thread about glass thickness in the DIY section with links to thickness calculators.

Reactions: FishBeast

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would just try to find a 120 or 125 on craigslist used, especially as it's not for fish and you don't need it to be pretty. Won't have to build it yourself, and probably cheaper

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store