PLEASE SHARE EXPERIANCE WITH MANGROVE JACKS

AussieMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
hello., i would like everyone to share there pictures and experiance ( tank size, temp, diet, tank mates, growth rate, behaviour and any storys ) with mangrove jacks., a fish that is truly an unknow monster please share!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I don't own one personally, but i'm pretty sure a friend of mine does and all i can say is they seem to grow pretty darn fast... amazing hunters if thats what your after, since they literally dart from one section of the tank to the other in the blink of an eye taking down any sort of feeder you put in their tank...

To answer some of your questions, based on what i've seen from my friends fish: tank size needed would be quite large, i'd guess around 180G+ min

diet: my friend feeds his every thing from shrimp, crays, feeder fish to even pellet's.

Behavior: seems to be quite territorial, and doesn't do well with tank mates, since he tends to look at any tank mates either as food, or (for lack of a better word) toys...

Any way, as i said before,i don't own the fish personally and therefore can't really give you solid info, but hopefully that will help get the ball rolling...

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
mine has an attitude similar to a datnoid,only that the jacks are more confident,mine doesnt grow fast but eats well,eats anything from small fishes to dried shrimp

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They used to turn up quite regularly in the stores here but I have not seen any in a few years.The last time I did see one in the stores it was labeled as a red fin datnoid.I had one before and it did grow fast and its agression grew along with it and they have the teeth to back up their attitude.I did not keep mine in brackish water,gave it feeders.I particularly like the blue 'thunderbolts' that appear on the facial area as it grows.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
i dunno much from personal experience cuz i got one at 3" from a bad source thats infamous for its unhealthy fish ( cheap though xD thats the trade off ) .... first night into the tank it ate some shrimps already, so alrite, i think that was SWEET! .... next morning, belly up -_- .... well thats my experience

from what i heard though, fresh is fine but prefer brackish n mite even go to salt
very aggressive nature, usually kept in a single specimen tank.... very personal though, would look great as a show fish

i've caught quite a few of em in Hong Kong in saltwater ponds , and i've caught some up to 15lb and im sure they do get a lot bigger.... but ya, very aggressive, u can see em dart out and attack my lure ...

AussieMonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
i have heard you can keep them fresh there whole life they only go into salt to breed but there is no physical change in the fish

mine is a little tucker 6cm, eats only krill and live feeders., hasnt grown at all in 3 weeks he sure is a funny guy tho, has anyone got pictures to share?

masone

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Cairns, Australia
AussieMonster;3404881; said:
i have heard you can keep them fresh there whole life they only go into salt to breed
Correct, breed in salt. Usually smaller fish will be in fresh or brackish water. Larger fish tend to be brackish or marine. Having said that, I have seen lots of jacks up to 2ft way up rivers in full fresh. Therefore jacks are suitable for fresh, brackish or marine tanks monster keepers if they are properly acclimated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store