Pleco Dietary Thread

COL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2006
San Diego
Just for the record, there are only two genera of loricariidae that have been shown to eat wood for nutritional value (roughage can be obtained from other sources), those being the infamous panaque and two (and perhaps more) species of lasiancistrus. For some odd reason, the morphologically similar hypostomus-cochliodonts lack the necessary gut microbes to extract nutrients from wood with the efficacy of larger panaque, though they, along with several other hypostomini and pterygoplichthyini tribe fishes show limited capacity to digest woody substances. Also, lignin is more or less impossible to digest to any significant degree. Rather, it is the hemicellulose that is so vital to the panaque palette.

All in all, it really comes down to what kind of pleco you've got; there are as many different dietary niches in nature as there are species of loricariids. Just in ancistrini alone, you've got a plethora of different fishes with different dietary needs:

Ancistrus/chaetostoma/lasiancistrus, and to a lesser extent, pseudolithoxus/hopliancistrus/dekeyseria-periphytonic grazers inhabiting consistently shallower waters, where the natural awfuchs makeup is represented largely by algal growth and decaying vegetation. Thus, a diet rich in fiber and other vegetable products is preferred, although, as with other grazers, microrganisms are consumed in the process of grazing, thus, protein should be offered, though with some care.

Megalancistrus/leporacanthicus-these closely related genera are almost exclusively invertebrate-feeders, specializing in feeding on snails (leporacanthicus), small to medium sized crustaceans such as river prawns, predatory insect larvae, worms, etc, and sponges. In accordance, these fish prefer high protein, low fat fare; mollusks and crustacea commonly available in the fish markets (clams, shell on shrimp to wear down the teeth, and, to a lesser extent, white fish) are perfect. Both genera, as previously stated, feed heavily off of freshwater porifera, and thus, seem to be fairly attracted to, and may even need fiber to substitute the vast amounts of spongin ingested while feeding. This, perhaps, explains why these fish are relatively prone to bloat in comparison to other "carnivorous" species, though it is hard to say how closely spogin and cellulose compare, molecularly. A fair amount of wood is also found in gut analysis, presumedly the side affects of grazing on spongal growths attached to various woody structures.

Hypostomus/pterygoplichthys/acanthicus/psuedorinelepis/peckoltia -nondescript feeders that will take anything and everything. With unspecialized villiform teeth, these fish will eat anything. From the sand sifting aphanotolurus and squalliforma, to the wood-grazing hypostomus cochliodon, all of these fish, regardless of habitat, are dietary generalists and feed on both vegetation and protein. Both should be fed heartily to ensure that specimens grow sufficiently while staying bloat-free.

Scobinancistrus/hypancistrus/psuedacanthicus-these are the generalized carnivores, so to speak. Some are adept scavengers, others, skilled predators (large scobinancistrus, for example, frequently pluck small, free swimming fishes from the water column above them), and all can tolerate relatively high levels of fat and crude protein. However, in optimal conditions, they should still be fed relatively high quality, lean foods, akin to the dietary recommendations given to the aforementioned leporacanthicus. Similarly, fiber should still be provided, as their natural diet still allows for more fibrous victuals, including beans, seeds, and nuts, which are commonly consumed by all three.

Panaque/lasiancistrus/hypostomus cochliodon-wood. What more is there to say?

Spectracanthicus/various peckoltia/baryancistrus/parancistrus-these deep water limnivores feed exclusively on the bio-film deposited onto various aquatic surfaces by decaying vegetation and animal matter, along with the microorganisms found alongside this organic debris. Because of their deeper water habits, dietary demands of such species are less focused on algae and more on protein. Henceforth, high-protein foods should be fed at least once a day, in addition to a heavy feeding of vegetable matter, corresponding with the dietary mixture found in the awfuchs consume by these fish. Like their shallower water, more herbivorously inclined relatives, they should be fed frequently, corresponding with their grazing lifestyle.

This is a more or less comprehensive list to the dietary needs of subfamily hypostominae, disregarding the rarer fish (cordylancistrus, neblinichthys, etc.) or the veritable scientific trash heaps (ancisti, hemiancistrus, etc.). Enjoy.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Brooklynella;642056;642056 said:
Question: Couldn't a few live broad leaf aquarium plants be added to the tank to supplement a Pleco's diet?
Most plants are not a first choice food for many plecos, and many won't eat them.

vexter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
Regina
I am curious if I am over/under feeding my pleco's. They are dwarf (at least thats what the LFS told me, I hope they are right) rubber lip pleco's. The girl at the LFS said 1 waffer a day as they don't get over 5 inches long and seldom finish the entire waffer. Should I try and supplement their diet with some cucumber and/or lettuce and just take out what they don't eat? Also would this be done when I put in the algae waffers (lights out?)

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
Many of the more commonly kept Plecos like to graze, i.e. they'll eat multiple meals throughout the day/night if it is available.
Such as a nice piece of fruit/veggie (Multiple listings of acceptable fresh fruits/veggies/etc in this thread. ) laying around for chewing on whenever the munchies hit.
Yes, I'd almost always have something fresh available, cucumber/greens are great, drop'em in anytime, once your Pleco knows these are tastier than a alga wafer you may find the wafers ignored.
I usually replace uneaten fruits/veggies after ~48 hrs.

Your Rubber Lip/Rubbernose/Bulldog is a omnivore, he'll eat almost anything, e.g. alga/fruits/veggies, sinking pellet/wafer foods, small live/dead critters.

ChileRelleno said:
Excellent daily vegetable supplements are, romaine, spinach and other leafy green lettuces (Iceberg is very high in bulk but very low nutritionally.) that have been blanched* first, cut/sliced zucchini, cucumber, sweet potato, broccoli stems, peas and beans (blanched and skinned), and others.
Fleshy fruits of various types can be fed too, Plecs in the wild feed on fruit fallen into river from overhanging trees. Papaya, breadfruit, cantaloupe/honeydew melon are a few examples, experiment and find what your fish likes.
It takes most Plecs a few feedings to discover and realize these are food, but after that there is no keeping them away. Some fish will even guard these foods to keep other fish away.

I found it very hard when housed with other fish to get such delights as worms and small scraps of cut fish/shrimp, shrimp pellets and other sinking food tablets/pellets down to the Plecs.
Other fish can be sooo greedy.
My solution was to load their zucchini or cucumber with shrimp pellets, carnivore sticks and so on, like cloves on a ham.
Just securely attach it with clips or rubber bands to a rock or wood, makes it easy for your Pleco to find and eat it.

Chooka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have read through this (Very informative guys!! :) but just have a question about how much i am feeding my Gibby???
My 12 inch Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps gets a couple of algae waffers every other day and a slice of Cucumber plus the odd worm that my chiclids don't get on the way down twice a week. He also enjoys the algae around the tank, is this enough for him?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Well if you chuck half a cucumber in over night, you'll see how much it eats and should give you a better idea. I'd give it a bit more protein (preferably worms) also.

Chooka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Davo, so just let him set how much he want's to eat? was worried about over feeding him.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store