Plywood bottom in a 220 gallon Osceanic

thumper_65590

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
I acquired an older 220 gallon Oceanic, but it has a cracked bottom panel near the overflow and bulkhead. I looked into replacing the bottom panel with glass (1/2 inch thick) but it is very cost prohibitive. I have checked with all glass suppliers within a 150 mile radius, and the cheapest was over 300.00 for plane float glass. Anyway, I was thinking of replacing the bottom of the tank with plywood. I am sure this has been done before, but in my google searches, and forum searches, I haven't been able to fine the information I am looking for. I had planned on using the frames that are on the tank now when I do the new bottom. Also, having a plywood bottom would make it much easier to drill for my overflows and returns. Anyway, if someone has done this, or know of some links to someone's build that has done this, or has any tips, I would greatly appreciate it, and thank you, William210 crack.jpg 210.2.jpg

210.jpg

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Look on Joey's DIY plywood bottom tank build. I'm thinking you are going to have to remove the bottom plastic frame, cut out/off the bottom glass, remove and clean the bottom silicone (an entire rebuild likely won't be a bad idea at this point, and build a wooden frame around the bottom that is part of the bottom. Lotsa work, but it seems to have worked for others. Epoxying a piece of plywood and gluing it in place might work, but I haven't seen that build yet (largely because I haven't looked for that type of build maybe).

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Glass cages out of Nashville sells 1/2 in 12mm plate glass for $9 sq ft. They run scheduled delivery routes where you meet the truck and pick up your order. Not sure how much shipping or delivery would be, but might be worth an email.

thumper_65590

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
I looked at glasscages. For the glass and shipping it was higher than I can get the glass somewhat locally. I also checked on plywood prices. For 3/4" x 4' x 8' Premium ACX Plywood from Menard's, its 36.99. Then a pondshield 1.5 quart kit runs about 80.00. That puts me at roughly a little less than half of what the cheapest replacement glass panel would run. Also, I would be able to redrill all my bulkheads myself, and possibly locate a few of them in more optimal areas within the tank. Thanks for the links, between Joey's big tank build and the one above, I believe I can repair this tank and have a really nice display tank.

thumper_65590

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri

thumper_65590

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri
I took a few more pictures of the crack in the bottom of my tank. Here they are, and as you can see, the crack runs under my overflow, as well as between 2 bulkheads, and to the side of the tank, but the tank does have bottom trim. I have priced a new piece of glass, as well as a sheet of 3/4 ply and pond armour. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think would be the best way to repair the crack. Thanks again, William20170303_204716.jpg 20170303_204716.jpg 20170303_204726.jpg 20170303_204739.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store