Plywood/Glass build question

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
based on these last two comments, you guy feel that I could get away with much thinner glass if I use cross braces and plywood panels cut out for the glass.

my problem is I want the corner where to two glass panels come together to be just glass. I don't mind a little wood covering the corners where the wood and glass sides come together but I was hoping to not use plywood panels on the sides with glass.
As long as the tank is braced correctly with no deflection, it is the height that determines the thickness. I'd use 12mm plate glass all day long at 30" of height. What's that - 1/2" in that backwards measurement you guys still use across the pond? :D

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
they don't teach much the metric stuff over here lol. Know it but don't use it enough to know how thick 12mm is lol

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
built mine with two sides glass rest plywood. Not had any problems with it. 8'x4'x30" tall but glass itself is probably 28"-29" after set in tank there is about a 27" viewing window if i remember correctly. Didnt go down and measure it. I used 1/2 safety glass. Really strong stuff not saying it right or wrong everyone has there own opinion. [video=youtube;KKfLPLpCAd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKfLPLpCAd4&list=UUy1UGXGToBj0AJs2CemqeVg[/video]

Still need to get better lighting on it. Only two shop lights above it as of yet.

that's what I'm thinking about.... what does the vertical seam look like where glass meets plywood? how is it reinforced and sealed?

awesome tank!

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
The issue at hand when discussing glass and safety factor is water depth and overall run or length of the tank. The length of the tank is what allows the deflection. The long the tank the more is can possibly deflect. So when we as DIY hobbyists look at the issue we should always consider deflection first then impact. The SF rating calculators cannot calculate bracing or impact thus we must use our best judgement and draw from the experience of the community. I like to point at the 55 gallon tank as a prime example for this factor alone.

55gal.jpg

If you look at the top you will see the cross brace. Standard 55's are 48 inches long, 21 inches high. We don't care about the depth at this point. They build these out of quarter inch glass. Which is why i felt more than safe using that glass with a cross brace and a full plywood frame.

103_0137.JPG

55gal.jpg

103_0137.JPG

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
agreed, I think the cross brace adds a lot to protect from bowing of the glass. Euro bracing can also accomplish this and maintain consistent pressure along the length of the glass face.
I am not thinking of a rimless look, although those are really cool. I think the coolest coral tank I ever saw was a 4 foot square that was 18 inches deep in a rimless tank.

i don't know if i gave the dimensions I'm thinking of but it's 72 x 48 x 30".

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
I dunno what you mean by reinforced. the glass sits on a ledge inside tank and i silicone the to pieces of glass together at the corner. Wood frame all way around the glass is that what you want to know about reinforcing?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
if it has a wood frame then yes, you are protecting the glass with framing. You may want to consider other options as well for your own peace of mind. A center cross brace, euro-bracing, etc. But in doing so you allow yourself to use thinner glass which is less expensive. It is all a matter of what you feel comfortable with. In general from my experience on here with those you have used my calculator to design their aquariums most people settle around 2.2 in SF. YMMV We love drawings done in paint or sketchup here and detail makes it a lot easier for us to give feedback.

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
got two sets of braces across top of tank ;-) 2x4s to that front not going anywhere lol. Front frame around window is alos 1.5 thick two pieces of 3/4 ply laminated together.

Theunissen Peter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Curaçao
Hi guys. I build my own 1400 plus aqurium from plywood, 19 mm hardened glas and fiberglass it inside. It's running now for 6 months without leakage. I'm very pleased with it.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1395797476537.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store