Polar blue parrot/HRP short behavior help?

Cmgoble

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2018
I believe this is the appropriate place to post this if not just delete or let me know. I inherited 7 of these polar blue or HRP I’m not sure what the most accurate name for them is, a few days ago I noticed their behavior/colors changed it seems like 2 maybe 3 pairs are attempting to breed or at the very least courting… one pair laid some eggs but as far as I can tell they weren’t fertilized. I have pictures and some videos is there anyway to sex them? I’ve seen different sites some say the males fins are more pointed/longer, their tales have a reddish color, they’re smaller… I just wanted to know if there is a way to verify, I was hoping to let 2-4 pair off and sell the ones that hadn’t paired off. But if they haven’t pairs off soon I don’t have much more time as they’re growing and I don’t want to stress them, so in that case I would keep 2-3 females and 1 male or all females to reduce aggression. Which hasn’t been an issue. Just hoping someone would be willing to look at some videos or point me in the right direction?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It takes a few tries for cichlids to get parenting right. Whatever name you give them, they are just short body Honduran red points, so the same sexing rules apply. Females generally have more orange on the belly. Feel free to post pics and videos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store