"polishing" water

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
If you really want it bottled water clean, check out diatom filters like Vortex.
Ive really wanted to get one for years now but been too lazy. Hands down the best water "polisher" ever.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I used to be a staunch advocate for diatom filters. I stopped using them due to all of the health issues from the use of diatom powder. Now I use filter socks for water polishing. I routinely run a 200 micron sock. For additional polishing, I'll temporarily run a 100 or 50 micron sock until the water is crystal clear. On my wood chewer tanks, I'll run a 500 micron sock to catch all of the sawdust. The sock filters use zero power. I just slip them into holding brackets at the outlet of the filter system.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
every now and then i'll use my vortex diatom filter, but it's very rare that i have to pull it out. as stated before me, using polyester in your filter defenately makes a difference in the clarity. i started using poly in my fluval (right before the little bio thingies ;)) and it works amazingly. it keeps the water looking like it is polished. however, i believe that the poly does do some polishing of its own. to a certain extent though. good luck man! :thumbsup:

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store