Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
The ornate should be fine

Armored_delhezi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
Philipines
Actually They are good combo IF they are in the same sizes... My 13"Delhezi just killed my 5" oscar... 1st, she eats my oscars fins especially on oscar's tail until oscar dies...

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I had an Ornate with some cichlids. He behaved all day but every morning there would be a nibble here or there on a convict or angelfish. I got rid of him because he was making my fish ugly. I doubt he was being aggressive. Probably more like curious.

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
I wouldn't take the Oscars behavior in the discus tank as a good indication of what he's like. Oscars are very moody and will sulk for a long time after a move. 2 weeks in that tank and he may have just come around to being normal when you took him out.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
beblondie;3058508; said:
The ornate should be fine
Thanks i'll contact the seller.
polish;3058509; said:
I have 2x 7" Sens with my 9" Oscar, I have never seen him pay then sens a bit of attention.
Yeah, I don't think my oscar would have a problem with any polys.
Armored_delhezi;3060082; said:
Actually They are good combo IF they are in the same sizes... My 13"Delhezi just killed my 5" oscar... 1st, she eats my oscars fins especially on oscar's tail until oscar dies...
I'll have to keep an eye on them. If i notice his tail missing i'll divide them.
knifegill;3060098; said:
I had an Ornate with some cichlids. He behaved all day but every morning there would be a nibble here or there on a convict or angelfish. I got rid of him because he was making my fish ugly. I doubt he was being aggressive. Probably more like curious.
I'll be watching them very closely.
Armored_delhezi;3060118; said:
Maybe Bichirs really loves fins... :)
I'll be watching them really closely. :D
Thalan;3060744; said:
I wouldn't take the Oscars behavior in the discus tank as a good indication of what he's like. Oscars are very moody and will sulk for a long time after a move. 2 weeks in that tank and he may have just come around to being normal when you took him out.
My oscar was done sulking by the next morning. He was eating normal and was still active. He actually "schooled" with the discus. He would just swim amongst them.

I'll see about getting the ornate. Worse case, I'll pick up some 6" sens that my lfs just got it. I might just go with the sens instead.

SFury

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Wisconsin
Polys and oscars work well together.

If you follow some simple advice. Neither one can be considerably larger than the other. If one has to be bigger, make it the poly.

I've kept senegals, my ornate, lapredei, delhezi, and palmas pollis with oscars with no issues at any time.

I followed the same advice I give today and was glad I did so. Either species can eat or bully the other one to death depending on their temperament given a large size difference. Some fish are just mellow, and well, others are not.

I also suggest sticking with either some senegals, delhezis, or an ornate for your oscar. Get larger polys than your oscar. IME polys typically don't grow as fast as oscars do. Polys are funny in that regard, some grow really fast, and others grow very slowly. My first delhezi went from 4" to 7" in 6 months, my two delhezi I'm growing out and got a 4" are now only 5" after 6 months. At this rate they will go to the poly tank in another 6 months or so. :irked:

Neervana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
UK
i think ornates go really well with oscars, i had an ornate with mine i had them as fry together and the oscar may have tried to ocasionally snap at the ornate but nothing happened at all. anyway now my ornate is 15" and a fatty at that lol. so yeah oscars would do just fine with an ornate. they dont seem to be bothered about bottom dwellers.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
IME Oscars and Polys go together just fine.. And really its up to you which one you like most. You are better off sticking to the smaller species, - Senegal, Delhezi, Palmas Polli, Weeksii etc. Its just a matter of what you like and what is available in your area. Ornates are nice, but they tend to be meaner of the poly species.

Let us know what you do. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store