Polyester pillow case works for ultrafine filter bag- bleach concern?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Purigen can lose some effectiveness if it is allowed to dry out completely.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Well, that would suck. can I ask where you got that info from?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I confirmed that to be true.. thanks for the heads up! They say it'll crack or disintegrate a bit. This blows. Guess I'll keep it stored with a bit of light bleach solution.. (they suggest RO water, but I got rid of my RO setup)

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It's on the Seachem website in the forums. I trust you found it. I allowed some of my bags to dry out. They don't Brown as quick anymore and don't get as dark overtime. I believe this means it isn't absorbing as quickly and has lost some effectiveness.

I'll replace these soon. I have other bags years old that have never been able to dry and they are still working great.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I just ended up writing to them. But thanks for saying something. I pored through the product description several times and never saw anything about this. This seems like its too an important tidbit of information to have to pour through a forum to have to find.

But its too late for the one extra bag that I have, its already dry. But I'll keep that from happening in the future.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It will still work but just not as effective. Random guess by comparing it to bags that haven't dried out, lost 50% effectiveness.

I agree with you. This should be on the label of the product. Not deep inside their website.

Awesome product however. I don't use any carbon anymore.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I agree, its amazing stuff... plus I'm pretty sure I went overboard with the volume of this stuff that I'm using.. so hopefully and decline in effectiveness is negligible.

But I did ask them to explain this.. they said that the pellets crack apart.. so when probed further I got from them that most of this degradation is that the pellets break apart, becoming small enough to leave the filter bag. They also said the loss of the round surface is the other contributor to the loss.

So far I'm not seeing any issue of anything leaving my pillow case/filter bag. So it's probably finer than 100 micron, which would explain my difficulty flushing it clean then too. But hopefully the tradeoff will be that less of these pieces will leave the bag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store