Polyuranadon Thread

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
From 12" to 18"-20" in 1 year for me. That is with them eating daily, and with a hearty appetite.

tantrick

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
St. Louis
yeah mine was about that growth in 2 years time. It is very skittish and doesn't let me ever see it eat, but it's eating something obviously.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What kind of growth rates have you guys seen in your G. Polys? I've had mine for awhile now and am just curious as to how it stacks up.
I dont purposey measure mine, nor do i feed them everyday, maybe every 2-3 days...

But growth has been happening as my two smaller guys are catching up to my big guys, but must say, my smaller guys have larger appetites than my bigger 2...

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
yeah mine was about that growth in 2 years time. It is very skittish and doesn't let me ever see it eat, but it's eating something obviously.
I light one end of my tank, feed all my fishes on the other end. The morays come up to the surface for food very quickly, can compete with 21 clown loaches for food rather well. IMO, the trick was getting my clowns to venture out from the hiding places, this helped with smaller groups of community schooling fishes introduced to the tank. Floating is better to condition shy fishes than sinking food, IMO. The morays quickly followed.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
For those interested on the status of Gymnothorax Polyuranodon as a saltwater, freshwater or brackish fish, you can look up the paper titled "Is the Elusive Gymnothorax Polyuranodon really a freshwater moray?"

https://www.researchgate.net/public...thorax_polyuranodon_really_a_freshwater_moray

The short answer, likely, yes. In fact, adults seem to exist in freshwater whilst elvers are more of a saltwater population if I recall correctly.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
How does a 120x40x50cm tank sound for
2 Polypterus Palmas Palmas
3 Ropefish
1 Gymnothorax Polyuranodon

?

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I've had bichirs before, my 6" Endli once ate my 4" Albino Longfin Senegal. I didn't see it happen, but I'm certain it did. That twisting, deathroll action to attempt to rip fish in pieces is scary. Personally, I would never place a bichir with my slender, delicate morays. Maybe it depends on the bichir species. Although I have always wanted a PBB, I would never place it in with my Morays.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Alright I'll keep that in mind. What do you feel about that tank size for at least 3 years for the polyuranodon?

In the paper I've cited, they estimated the largest specimen at an apeshit 1.5m. However, the majority of specimens are between 50-90cm. I'm not sure what the typical sizes achievable in the scope of captivity, although most fish aren't necessarily constrained too much by that.

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I know the vendor Wes whom I purchased these from, has his grown to 36". I'm getting about 6-8" growth in a year. Not sure how large a tank they will need, as I only have a 170G.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Palmas palmas don't get to big. I think they'll be fine, they get maybe 16" max maybe less, and that's after a number of years. It should be fine Imo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store