Polyuranadon Thread

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Alright I'll keep that in mind. What do you feel about that tank size for at least 3 years for the polyuranodon?

In the paper I've cited, they estimated the largest specimen at an apeshit 1.5m. However, the majority of specimens are between 50-90cm. I'm not sure what the typical sizes achievable in the scope of captivity, although most fish aren't necessarily constrained too much by that.
1.5M? Damn, i would love to see a photo of a specimen even a meter long, let alone 1.5 :)

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
@fathomer Any remarks regarding my rather dubious tank size selection? Do the eels thicken up and how much activity do you see?

I understand that many saltwater eels meander about live rock and therefore to some extent, require less space. But how about gymnothorax polyuranodon?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
@fathomer Any remarks regarding my rather dubious tank size selection? Do the eels thicken up and how much activity do you see?

I understand that many saltwater eels meander about live rock and therefore to some extent, require less space. But how about gymnothorax polyuranodon?
Mine are definitely not the most active until they smell food in the water, but even then they would only move around their area, and stick very close to the plants...

As for thickness, mine have got a little thicker, but are no where near what my old fire eel was in thickness at these lengths (mine range from probably 15" - 20"+)

Tank size i would guess a 150 would be more than enough, since i have 4 in a 200G but 3 of them literally live together on side side of the tank, while the other lives by himself in a PVC tube on the other...

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Alright I guess I'll go ahead and pop one into my current set-up before upgrading again in the future.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Keeping this thread alive 888fish 888fish style with a few update pics of 2 of my eels who were feeling photogenic today ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ yours definitely are!!! I measure mine the other day and the biggest is only 15" lol...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My tank has around 8 PVC tubes and mutliple other hiding spots, but these 3 decided this was a good spot to huddle...

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store