1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Pond Comet Breeding?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by toehead11183, Apr 19, 2008.

1. toehead11183

toehead11183
    Expand Collapse
    MFK Members

Ebro Puleva
    Oct 11, 2014
    A few days ago I rescued a bunch of pond fish. I found homes for all but a few that my wife wanted to keep. We kept 3 comets about 8-10" and a 12" koi. This morning i checked on them before i went to work and say some of the comets, what looked like, eating the new pads that were sprouting out of the lilly pots.(water is still green) When i got home a few minutes ago, i checked to see if they chewed up the lillies and found hundreds of amber colored balls. i found them in all the pots, on the rocks and in the filter. I bought my first pondfish last year and they aren't even close to breeding age but the new fish are. It must be the comets because the large koi wouldnt have a mate.
    is there anything i need to do to try to ensure the survival of the offspring, whatever they are?
    Here's a pic of the pond. its about 200-300g (i'm guessing) 6'x8'. There are 4 pots of lillies and random large rocks and driftwood on the bottom. in the bottom left where the arrow is, i have a waterfall and some sand that covers the bottom. The filter runs 550gph(i know its not enough but neither is my budget right now. My stock is:
    1-koi 12"
    3 comets 8-10"
    5 koi 4-6"
    1 comet 6"
    8" pleco
    I'm about to sell 3-4 of the small koi and the small comet because of the new fish.

Caitlyn.jpg

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. fishlvr

fishlvr
    Expand Collapse
    MFK Members

Aug 6, 2010
    Congrats! If you want them to survive, move the young. Golfish are notorius egg/fry eaters.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature