Pond fish to go with Koi

ShaheenFishwala

Feeder Fish
Nov 26, 2021
Hi guys,
I am looking for suitable partner suggestions for my small koi pond - around 1000 gallon and 8ft x4 ft , weather is temperate in Southern California with occasional 50’s

Any experienced pond owners who can share tips ?

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept koi with cichlids from southern South America (a temperate area, water temps dipping into the 50s in winter). Cichlids from Uruguay, Argentine like Gymnogeophagus, Australoheros, even some Crenicichla.
These cichlids are less aggressive than their tropical cousins.
But because of their natural coloration are harder to see than the obvious koi (depending on the color of your pond)
I had to bring all fish in winter in Wisconsin and in a kiddy pool became most visible during that time.
In the actual outdoor pond, with a more natural substrate, only the koi and goldfish are obvious
In the pond above there were perhaps 20 cichlids.
Some of the cichlids would only become obvious when in shallows, and in spawning colors, like th Australoheros in the shot below.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,
I am looking for suitable partner suggestions for my small koi pond - around 1000 gallon and 8ft x4 ft , weather is temperate in Southern California with occasional 50’s

Any experienced pond owners who can share tips ?
Welcome aboard

Magnabond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2021
Cichlids sound awesome. The beauty of fish keeping is experimenting and creating an ecosystem that you like best.

Due to the seasonal changes in NJ, I keep my Koi with Shubunkin and some Comets and have added a tri banded hi fin banded shark to clean up the algae.

I tossed in some blue shubukins to broaden the coloration of the pond.

I would not suggest placing fancies (like moors or butterflies in the pond). During mating season, the koi really beat up the female goldfish and lesson learned.

Whatever you do, compliment with Plants and enjoy for years to come as you plan out your next pond that will be twice the size of this one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store