Pond Matrix in Sump Refugium as Nitrate Reducer

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm custom building a sump for a heavily stocked 225 that is 30" wide. I was going to make it 48" x 18" (filter socks to pond matrix to return pump). I had an idea to add 6" and run a relatively low flow through approx. 80 Liters of Pond matrix. I would run water from the return area, through the matrix, and back to before the socks, so I wouldn't have to ever clean the pond matrix. My questions is:

1) Assuming I don't mind paying for the Pond Matrix, would that work?
2) Would it just be a novel idea and put a small dent in nitrates, or would it put a serious dent in nitrates - factoring in the large amount of 80L and the lower flow?
3) What flow would you go with - how many gph? I'd have baffles every 6" (top, then bottom, then top....) so water wouldn't just flow across the top.

Thanks for your input?
Keith

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I still get silt in my sump even while using 200 micron socks, so the never clean option may be a pipe dream.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I haven't cleaned my sump in 2 years. filter socks and pond matrix. I keep a pretty stout power head running in it--and a rubber ducky.

As for extra pond matrix, I don't think it's gonna take out Nitrates. For the same time spent installing and planning, you'd get a lot better nitrate removal with a freshwater drip. I'd guess........40 GPD would be PLENTY for your setup.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
If you want any practical nitrate reduction you won't get it with social media. It's all marketing hype. Any media will slighlty reduce nitrates but not enough to make a difference in water changes. Just use cheap media and setup a drop if you want to avoid manual water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store