Pond recommendations

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I'm setting up a ~1500G pond that I'm planning on adding fish to come summertime. Dimensions are approx. 10' long, 6.5' wide, and 3' deep, and I am planning on setting up a filter anywhere from 6000-9000GPH. This is my first real pond. Coldwater/temperate. I have some ideas, but wouldn't mind suggestions. The four coolest freshwater fish native to my area are the longnose gar, the bowfin, the American eel, and the Atlantic stingray. (which, is the least likely option, as they would require a very delicate conversion process, and very heavy filtration) So, the gar, bowfin, and the eel are the most likely candidates. The gar can get up to about 5'-6' in the wild, but chances are, it'll peak at around 3' in the pond. I hear gar are compatible with koi, just as long as neither are small enough to be eaten, as they reach roughly the same size in captivity. The eels would be compatible with just about anything that couldn't fit in its mouth or vice versa, and would have a fair amount of hiding spots and vegetation. I believe gar and bowfin should get along, but I'm a little nervous about keeping either with the eels.

I want suggestions on which one of these you would recommend, and if you know of any cool non-native/exotic fish that could 1) fit in this pond, and 2) live in cold/temperate water. MUST be 1'-3', unless it is an eel-like fish that often coils up, and therefore does not need as much room.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
In addition to Fishman Dave's question, what are the dimensions of the pond? 5678 liters is quite a lot, but what can actually go in the pond is determined by its dimensions instead of its volume, in order to ensure adequate space.

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
In addition to Fishman Dave's question, what are the dimensions of the pond? 5678 liters is quite a lot, but what can actually go in the pond is determined by its dimensions instead of its volume, in order to ensure adequate space.
I gave dimensions. 10' long, 6.5' wide, and 3' deep, or 3.05m long, 1.98m wide, and 0.91m deep.
What are the seasonal temperatures likely to be?
Spring: 37.0F - 76.2F
Summer - 63.3F - 87.5F
Fall: 38.4F - 79.7F
Winter: 27.6F - 47.9F

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Whoops! Missed the dimensions.
I suggest the royal clown loach. The 3 meter length is just long enough for a group of 5-6 and your temperature range is comparable to their 5-29 degree range.

Reactions: xenacanth9
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store