pool filter sand or play sand?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Pool filter sand is the way to go IMO (unless you have plants like HK mentioned).

I like the look of pool filter sand better (play sand looks like mud IMO), it's much much cleaner, it's easier to siphon the top without removing sand, it's a bit more coarse and the price is right.

RedDevilDon2005

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lawrenceburg, In
www.myspace.com
ok, so i just came home with 5 bags, 3 play sand, and 2 all purpose sand, i think im gonna mix them, the all purpose stuff looks more natural to me. it has small rocks and what not in it. what do you guys think? i can post some pics if you want

Dracor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
Indianapolis
I'd just mix it! It's really whatever you prefer. I myself use pool filter sand only because it's cheaper and I tend to go that route!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
RedDevilDon2005;2158627; said:
ok, so i just came home with 5 bags, 3 play sand, and 2 all purpose sand, i think im gonna mix them, the all purpose stuff looks more natural to me. it has small rocks and what not in it. what do you guys think? i can post some pics if you want
Please do post pics!!! I just purchased 150 lbs of pool filter sand and and when it arrived it looks much darker than the other photos I have seen from other members. I know it's not play sand because I purchased it from the pool store.

Name brand is "Target Pool Filter Sand", it's silica.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
its probly a little late but I use Kings play sand which is just washed beach sand, I like it because it is more natural then the stark white PFS I have seen.

so I think you will be happy with what you got.

WestTex

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
I use play sand in a 20 gallon. It is hard to clean, and i think cleaning enough for a 220 gallon would make it worth your while to go to a Pool Supply Store and buy the Pool filter sand. If I had it to do over again I would have gone that route. It takes a few days for the sand to settle and the water to clear up..Mine stayed cloudy for about 3 days and I cleaned the sand for about 2 hours in a five gallon bucket and a high pressure hose.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Should have went pool sand, sinks fast when the fish pick it up and looks great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store