Pool Filter Sand?

drdrewr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2010
New Jersey
Kaliedoscope;4547140; said:
Yeah, I use this in most of my tanks, albeit a different brand. Make sure its all natural. Also I agree with the filter thing, the only problem with pool filter sand is that it often is packaged with a LOT of dirt. Which is a pain, but its worth the price. Make sure to wash it well first.
x2. Just make sure that you are patient and conscientious when you clean the sand. PFS is what I recently switched to and I absolutely love it. My brand was Leslies, however, as long as it was PFS, I didn't care what brand it was. The experienced folks in these forums overwhelmingly recommended it and I couldn't be more happier than to have heeded their advice.

Once again, even if your PFS is pre-cleaned (and it probably is), you still need to wash the he$$ out of it. I did and was rewarded with not one moment of cloudiness upon entry into my tank. I might have cleaned it more than was necessary, but, I'm not at all sorry that I did. It was about a month that it took me to complete this (because I washed the sand so thoroughly).

CR$N310

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
CR$N
drdrewr;4554203; said:
x2. Just make sure that you are patient and conscientious when you clean the sand. PFS is what I recently switched to and I absolutely love it. My brand was Leslies, however, as long as it was PFS, I didn't care what brand it was. The experienced folks in these forums overwhelmingly recommended it and I couldn't be more happier than to have heeded their advice.

Once again, even if your PFS is pre-cleaned (and it probably is), you still need to wash the he$$ out of it. I did and was rewarded with not one moment of cloudiness upon entry into my tank. I might have cleaned it more than was necessary, but, I'm not at all sorry that I did. It was about a month that it took me to complete this (because I washed the sand so thoroughly).
What color is the PFS at leslie's? Is it white? or is it like the sand at the beach?

CR$N310

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
CR$N
Dahammer;4554622; said:
I used the Quikrete PFS in my 75. I didn't rinse it at all and it never clouded.
Where did you buy it at? Amazon? also what color is the sand?

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
i used the playsand from home depot,,i rinse it a bunch of times and never clouded my tank and plus it looks like the beach sand,,not sure if youre going for that look but thought ill give my two cents..goodluck!

luvallknight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
pcb
my pfs it tan with brownish specks in it i wash the crap out of mine too but it was well worth it. i got mine for $6.80 total for 50 pound bags

CR$N310

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
CR$N
luvallknight;4554805; said:
my pfs it tan with brownish specks in it i wash the crap out of mine too but it was well worth it. i got mine for $6.80 total for 50 pound bags
Thats hella cheap. you got it at leslie's?

luvallknight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
pcb
nah we have one here but i got mine from cox pool but i had to ask for the 100 percent silica

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
B.Ho;4545523; said:
I heard that quikrete was bad, you don't have a leslies pool store in your area? I bought sand from there for like 8 bucks a bag
Quickcrete is fine, but there is more than one kind... Get the wrong type and you will end up with a tank full of concrete.

IMO, some people stress way too much about the "right" sand... I tried to start a sand sticky a while back, if you search for it you will find it. People posted the brands of sand they used and how they liked it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store