Pool Sand as Substrate?

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
So I'm planning my 300gal. My current 135 is bare bottom and it's just so ugly... Will pool filter sand work for the substrate in an overflow/sump system? Anyone use it or heard complaints?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Pool filter sand is the most common substrate used, works great, relatively inexpensive and heavy enough to stay put.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I started using PFS in most of my tanks about 30 years ago, and haven't looked back.
One of the reasons is because, for the most part, it doesn't allow detritus to fall between the cracks and decompose, because its density keeps particulate on the PFS surface.
This forces me to vacuum (if I don't want to see detritus), keeping water quality high,
Of course if you don't like to vacuum, and do water changes, this could be problematic.
Plants do pretty well in it too, although in my planted tanks, I mix in a little fluorite.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
As Tom posted, PFS(pool filter sand) is extremely popular here on the forum. In case you're wondering, 2 bags will give you plenty of coverage for a 135gal and 4 for the 300gal. A 50lb bag is about $8 in my area.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
+1

As Tom posted, PFS(pool filter sand) is extremely popular here on the forum. In case you're wondering, 2 bags will give you plenty of coverage for a 135gal and 4 for the 300gal. A 50lb bag is about $8 in my area.

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
I have pfs in my smaller tanks and it looks great. For my larger tank I use the holy grail of substrates....color quartz sand. I plaster pools and can get it for cheap and in plenty of colors: black, grey, white, blue, brown but red is more expensive cuz i'd have to get it from las vegas. If you're in Cali I can get you some. Otherwise pool filter sand will work and look great.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
depends on the sand and the fish. some pool filter sand is sharp and will cause damage to barbels and sifting fish.

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
I had a big problem with it tearing up the bottom of my rays bellies. Caused a lot of irritation soars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store