Poor quality of nano fish

Mr.Firemouth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2006
st.louis
I’ve been trying to get CPD(galaxy rasbora) and chili rasboras for the last two months. I’ve noticed in the stlouis area that they have been coming in from the suppliers looking pretty bad. Poor health, poor color, possibly poor genetics. I purchased a few dozen CPD that didn’t last two weeks before succumbing to whatever they had in them to make them less healthy. I thought I could save a few from their fate but I failed. When I talked to the LFS store owner he said he was having trouble getting good shipments in. He said demand was high for them and several tetra species also but the wholesalers were importing crappy fish. He attributes the winter shipments causing most of the problems because the fish from the wholesalers are in better condition during warmer months. He said he uses 6 different suppliers he said some fish comes in great and some are trash in the same order.

so what I’m asking the community is are you seeing poor quality fish at your LFS also? Just wondering if it’s a regional supply problem or a systemic problem on a larger scale???

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
I’ve been trying to get CPD(galaxy rasbora) and chili rasboras for the last two months. I’ve noticed in the stlouis area that they have been coming in from the suppliers looking pretty bad. Poor health, poor color, possibly poor genetics. I purchased a few dozen CPD that didn’t last two weeks before succumbing to whatever they had in them to make them less healthy. I thought I could save a few from their fate but I failed. When I talked to the LFS store owner he said he was having trouble getting good shipments in. He said demand was high for them and several tetra species also but the wholesalers were importing crappy fish. He attributes the winter shipments causing most of the problems because the fish from the wholesalers are in better condition during warmer months. He said he uses 6 different suppliers he said some fish comes in great and some are trash in the same order.

so what I’m asking the community is are you seeing poor quality fish at your LFS also? Just wondering if it’s a regional supply problem or a systemic problem on a larger scale???
I've seen problems with poor quality CPDs, kubotais, and dwarf emeralds locally at LFSs in NC as well; kinked spines, heavy mortality rates, poor colour, irregular behaviour, concave midsections, etc. Haven't seen any particularly good-quality shipments in a long while, either. I'd personally assume it might have something to do with their mass-production in farms overseas; perhaps they're dealing with poor stock, like with Enneacanthus chaetodon. I don't recall shipments being noticeably better in the summer, though last June I did see some non-local sellers carrying nanos of decent quality at a nearby expo.

Mr.Firemouth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2006
st.louis
The LFS asked me to breed for him but I’m not interested in store credit. LFS will pay cash to wholesalers and drive to the airport to get their orders but won’t pay local breeders who deliver to their stores. If I’m not getting cash I’m not interested

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
The LFS asked me to breed for him but I’m not interested in store credit. LFS will pay cash to wholesalers and drive to the airport to get their orders but won’t pay local breeders who deliver to their stores. If I’m not getting cash I’m not interested
My LFS told me they can't give cash for legal reasons so that is probably the case where you live?

I have noticed small tropical fish are very bad quality now in general. Guppies and Bettas are noticeably unhealthy(from inbreeding I imagine) and a lot of tetras look skinny.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
My LFS told me they can't give cash for legal reasons so that is probably the case where you live?

I have noticed small tropical fish are very bad quality now in general. Guppies and Bettas are noticeably unhealthy(from inbreeding I imagine) and a lot of tetras look skinny.
I haven't seen problems with guppies in our area, but there is definitely problems with bettas and tetras.

Reactions: Mr.Firemouth
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store