Popeye/hith. Please help quick!

XxPROTERRORxX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2012
Kansas
So my green terror has bad hole in the head and a little popeye. I need to know what the best medicine I can give him is that they would have in a petsmart or petco. Please respond quick I'm so stressed thanks so much guys

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What are your tanks parameters like? and what size tank is your fish currently in? any tank mates etc?

give us some basic info to work with and someone would be able to chime in and let you know what the best treatment is...

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Metronidazole for HITH. The popeye is most likely associated with HITH, possibly a secondary infection. Can use kanamycin combined with metronidazole in this case.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Test your water and post your perimeters.

How often do you do water changes? What size is the tank? What is the stock? What is the filtration?

It is very possible that your GT's HITH and it's almost certain that it's popped eyes are caused by bad water perimeters.

Alternatively, it's possible your fish's HITH is caused by a nutrient deficiency. What do you feed it?

If you habitually feed your GT feeder fish, then its likely your GT has a buildup of thiaminase which causes erosion of the lateral line by blocking the fish's ability to metabolize vitamin B. If this is the case, you need to ensure you have good water and get your fish eating a nutritionally complete diet.

It is my opinion that you need to find the root cause of the development of your fish's HITH and pop eye and correct that before you go dumping chemicals into the tank.

XxPROTERRORxX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2012
Kansas
He is in a 55 with a severum,pleco and bichirs. Also does epsom salt really work? Could you give me detailes on how to use that. I know its not lack of nutrienjts. I have my fish eating omega one shrimp pellets. A little hikari here and there. I give them frozen food too so a large variety of healthy foods. Feeder fish have never been put in my tank( although I would like to see my fish rip some to shreds)
I do frequent water changes. I put aquarium salt in
The medicines I have tried to use are general cure, marycyn, an marycyn 2.
Any new advice

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
He is in a 55 with a severum,pleco and bichirs. Also does epsom salt really work? Could you give me detailes on how to use that. I know its not lack of nutrienjts. I have my fish eating omega one shrimp pellets. A little hikari here and there. I give them frozen food too so a large variety of healthy foods. Feeder fish have never been put in my tank( although I would like to see my fish rip some to shreds)
I do frequent water changes. I put aquarium salt in
The medicines I have tried to use are general cure, marycyn, an marycyn 2.
Any new advice

Get a test kit and tell us what your water perimeters are. The API test strips, while not the most accurate things around, will at least give us an idea what your tank is like. They're like $4.99 at my LFS.

We can't really go anywhere with this until we know your perimeters. After all, you can't fix the symptoms if you don't know what's causing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store