Portible ac to cool tank?

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I am setting up a 560gal tank in my garage and I am having unexpected tank temperatures of 90 degrees.
the stand that I am building for it will be more like a small room that will be 17ft x 4ft x 9ft that will include my 560gal and my 100gal tanks.
My thought is to insulate the inside of the stand instead of the tank and put a portible air conditioner inside of the stand to keep it cool but I have no experience with the portible type ac's.
Does anyone think this will work or know how loud they are?

OH yeah, the tanks will be totally inclosed in the stand accept for the front glass.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I do have a fan blowing across my 100gal and it seems to only drop the temperature 1 or 2 degrees but its just blowing hot air from my garage.
I do plan on trying that method first once my tanks are all boxed in and I am thinking it may help some but Im not sure it will be enough.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
How about a 24/7 water change with cold water?
DIY chiller with a mini fridge?
Frozen 2liter water bottles (u will probly need a ton though Lol)

If all tanks are connected to one system I'd try the DIY chiller

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
How about a 24/7 water change with cold water?
DIY chiller with a mini fridge?
Frozen 2liter water bottles (u will probly need a ton though Lol)

If all tanks are connected to one system I'd try the DIY chiller

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
My tank run at 95F in the summer and I never have a problem. In fact the fish semms to enjoy it. I just run a large powerhead to push as much bulb as possible. The easist way to cool your tank is to run a chiller build for salt tank instead of messing with a portable AC unit.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
FishNCash;4294622; said:
My tank run at 95F in the summer and I never have a problem. In fact the fish semms to enjoy it. I just run a large powerhead to push as much bulb as possible. The easist way to cool your tank is to run a chiller build for salt tank instead of messing with a portable AC unit.
The tank will have sa/ca cichlds in it, if any I would guess they would be OK.
what type of fish do you have that seem to like 95f ?

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Also, with warmer water that means you need more aeration in the tank.
I suggest powerhead with air line, strong air pump or the outlet of your canister/sump above water lever to create some air bubbles.
I believe this is one major factor with hot temps.
My 300 was as hot as 92 or something with a Armatus, bichirs, geos, baby atfs (different times).
So Lots of air if you can't get to the cooler temps on time :D

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
The1and only;4294936; said:
If you don't have the portable ac units vent to the outside they will fill the room with toxic and kill you. So as a heads up if you go that route make sure it is properly vented.
Man, I had a total lapse in judgement there.
I know about the toxic fumes and forgot all about it.
it was going to be vented out of the stand and into the garage, which could have killed someone!!!!
I think I am going to look into the chiller now, does anyone have any links for me?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store