Portible ac to cool tank?

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
One good way I have found to find things like water chillers is to just enter the words in the "dialog box" for the search engine you use and go from there. I do know that Dr.s Foster's and Smith carries water chillers for aquariums. Give it a shot and see what you find. It can only help. Good luck. ~ David Bradley

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
www.marinedepot.com is the place for salt water equipments such as chillers.

broken;4294849; said:
The tank will have sa/ca cichlds in it, if any I would guess they would be OK.
what type of fish do you have that seem to like 95f ?
I have asian, african and south american fish. Indonesian dats, African bichirs, and south american peacock bass plus lenticulata pike. I have a spraybar above water to create more bubbles. I have a Koralia 4 to circulate water to push the air bubbles from the powerjet so there is no dead spot. I think the fish would not survive if the tank did not have enough oxygen bubbles.

hellrazr1231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Florida
I live in Florida and my tank stays at 85-90 in the summer. Fish like it. I have two long bubble things, a skeleton that produces large bubbles, and a bubble cave. I also have a powerhead. This is probably way over kill but I have no problems. My fish grow faster (always hungary; think the heat speeds up metabolism) and are more active at high temps. If you think about many ponds, lakes, etc get pretty hot and fish live. Lakes here are shallow 13ft and are around 90 degrees or warmer. We actually sweet in the water. Very uncomfortable but we do like skiing.
I would try a few fish before going over board and buying an ac unit or an expensive chiller. Helps with the electric bill since I just unplug the heaters.

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
I think you're fine just letting the tank change a little seasonally. I wouldn't be concerned with the temps you're describing at all.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I probably am worried for nothing.
I dont have any of the fish yet that will be in the tank but I do have 68 feeder goldfish in there to get the tank cycled and have only lost one in the last two weeks.

And I forgot to mention that I have four powerheads in the tank too.

realfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
Colorado
Not all portable air conditioners need exhausted just bought one on ebay mini spot air conditioner dehumidifer

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
The1and only;4294936; said:
If you don't have the portable ac units vent to the outside they will fill the room with toxic and kill you. So as a heads up if you go that route make sure it is properly vented.
False. AC units are vented to the outside because if you didn't, you'd be putting hot air in the same space you're trying to cool. They don't emit anything toxic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store