XxTheWolfxX

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2015
Hey, all! This is another thing I might do if I get a 75 gallon or, if I'm super lucky and can pull off the miracle of both finding room for it and managing to convince my landlord to let me, a five foot tank like a 125 gal. I've done a lot of research on oscars before, but had just a couple things I figured I'd ask.
First of all, what size tank would an oscar need? I know a lot of people say a 75 gal for one, but figured I'd ask anyway. Second, what kind of tankmates, if any, besides like a pleco? And do they truly do fine on their own? Like without any tankmates, and just me. Would one do better with another oscar, and if so, what tank size would the two of them need full grown? How fast do they grow? What kind of filtration should I do? I was thinking of doing a sump so that way I could customize it however I wanted. And finally, what kinds of food would I feed it? Thanks (and sorry for the long post)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
75 gal is small for an oscar,125 is good.
Good filtration is good.
They grow fast roughly 1 to 2 inches a month until they hit roughly twelve inches.
They aren't picky a mixed diet of pellets,insects,bits of fish,krill etc is fine.
They do fine on their own.
Never feed them goldfish.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would say 125gal (6ft tank) for a single and if doing a pair I would get an 8ft tank.

Oscars will do fine alone. Mine is the only cichlid in it's tank, but has a pack of Silver Dollars and an Ornatus catfish. What ever you house with the Oscar make sure it is bigger than the O's mouth, and or will keep pace with it's O's size if still growing.
Try to stay with other SA cichlids if you want to try and mix cichlids.
Oscars will grow around an inch a month or more if kept in good clean water and feed good.
Mine got 10inches in her first year, but was in a 55gal longer than should have been I suspect, so stunted a bit.
As far as feeding goes feed it a decent pellet with treats once a week (frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried Krill, blood worms. Never feed "feeder" fish. More than not these have diseases and or parasites that can kill your Oscar.
If you want to live feed, then grow your own, get some live bareres or cons and breed them in another tank, that way you know they are clean. Then gut load them by feeding them good food before feeding to the Oscar. I feed mine pellets since the day I got her. I use Hikari due to its ease of getting/ingredients/if your fish will eat it. I did try a better food, but she wouldn't eat it. So have to deal with that as well.

As far as filtration, being in an apt like me I would go with canisters/hob combo. Now I have not done sumps, but weight is an issue for apts, so haveing a second tank of water just adds more weight than needed when you can do nearly the same with canisters. My 125 has two AC110s and an FX4. The combo turns over the tank ten times or more an hour.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
How big of an effect have people found KH/GH to be for Oscars?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would say 75 with a sump would be around the absolute bare bones minimum. With that said, if you have a 75 but not an Oscar, it would be better to get a fish that won't get quite as big as bulky. Green terror or Cuban cichlid would probably be a better choice. 100 or 125 gallon would be better for an Oscar.
They live fine alone, tankmates I wouldn't do in a 75. If you can swing the larger tank, maybe a nice bristlenose pleco (don't get a common-they get giant) or a pimelodella catfish. Spotted silver dollars work but are better off in a 125 (6 foot tank). In a 125 there would be lots of options for tankmates, smaller cichlids would work as well.
Filtration, sump is usually the best because more water volume. If you can't get a sump, I would just say overfilter the tank. For example, if a filter is "rated for" a 75 gallon tank, get two of them.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
A 5' 120 is a great sized tank for an oscar in my opinion. That set they sell at petsmart aint bad and is always on sale it seems.

Although if you have the funds and space, oscars greatly appreciate the extra 6" width of a 5' 150 or 6' 180. 150 is about as big as i'd go in an apartment.

Two ac110s should handle the tank fine, but more is always better.

For decor opt for just a couple nice stones or pieces of bogwood. Dont worry about any plants or fancy backgrounds as swimming space is #1 in an oscar tank.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
My KH=5 and GH=8, I've been hesitant to get one thinking my water is too hard.
I think maybe duanes duanes has good information on this. I would think that most oscars you find in the pet shop could adapt to those conditions, but it just might not be the most perfect environment.

For my SA tank, ive been thinking about running an overhead sump full of peat and plants that might help with my hard water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree that a 75 is too small for even a single oscar, without any tank mates.
The smaller the tank, the more water must be changed, otherwise the oscar ends up living in its own urine soup. And as the oscar ages, it need more water changes, no matter what kind of filtratration you provide.
Although hard water is not an acute danger, it often has chronic long term effects. Maladies like hole in the head, or infected, flared gills start to become apparent after living in hard, un-tannic water, where the aquarist hasn't kept up with enough frequent large water changes.
If your water is mineral rich and hard, and a 75 gal is all there is space for, then a tank full of rift lake Africans, or small Central American cichlids would be a more appropriate choice.
If you must get Amazonian of other soft water cichlids, before even getting the tank, a rain barrel sitting on the balcony or patio that you can forever soak fallen leaves and old logs in, to provide tannins (that are anti-bacterial) to use during water changes would be a good idea.
Also be ready to "not " have a crystal clear water tank, but one with water the color of tea, would help keep S Americans healthy, for at least part of the year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store