Post Your Bucket Filters!

arcatekt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
GA
Here is the 8th iteration of the 5 gallon bucket filter design. Many tests to figure out what worked to prevent leakage. I ran a ~700GPH pump with this canister type filter for 6 months with no leakage. Just used a router and some toggle bolts to fabricate. Kind of a pain to change/clean the filter though.

5galbucket_filter.jpg5galbucket_filter2.jpg

5galbucket_filter.jpg

5galbucket_filter2.jpg

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Here is the filtration of my 500. Water flows in through 7" filter socks, up through the bottom of the buckets, and overflows out the top of the buckets into the 100 gallon stock tank. The buckets are filled with Carib-Sea Cichlid shell substrate. It helps buffer my PH from 5.5 to 7.2. In the sump I have another 5 gallons of porous bio media in mesh bags.
PVC is 6" down to 3" and 2" into the bucket. There are 2" shower drains in the bottom of the buckets. In the bottom of the bucket on top of the drains are a disc of egg crate and needle point fabric on top of that to keep the gravel from falling through. The void left under the egg crate around the drain is filled with Bio balls. I drilled a bunch of holes in and around the shower drain to try and distribute the flow. I'm running approximately 1800 GPH through this.
photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
View attachment 868112View attachment 868113View attachment 868114

My 300L bucket filter!! Its a mess but it worked quite well.
Monster bucket!

Here is the 8th iteration of the 5 gallon bucket filter design. Many tests to figure out what worked to prevent leakage. I ran a ~700GPH pump with this canister type filter for 6 months with no leakage. Just used a router and some toggle bolts to fabricate. Kind of a pain to change/clean the filter though.

View attachment 877639View attachment 877640
Sweet - where there's a will, there's a way!

Here is the filtration of my 500. Water flows in through 7" filter socks, up through the bottom of the buckets, and overflows out the top of the buckets into the 100 gallon stock tank. The buckets are filled with Carib-Sea Cichlid shell substrate. It helps buffer my PH from 5.5 to 7.2. In the sump I have another 5 gallons of porous bio media in mesh bags.
PVC is 6" down to 3" and 2" into the bucket. There are 2" shower drains in the bottom of the buckets. In the bottom of the bucket on top of the drains are a disc of egg crate and needle point fabric on top of that to keep the gravel from falling through. The void left under the egg crate around the drain is filled with Bio balls. I drilled a bunch of holes in and around the shower drain to try and distribute the flow. I'm running approximately 1800 GPH through this.
View attachment 877730
I love it. Super clean and well-thought-out. PVC gets expensive at 6", though, doesn't it? :irked:

zungaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
n.ireland
http://flic.kr/p/bzqF6C
filter system on my main tank,2 x 1000 liter totes,one has mechanical and hundreds of pot scrubbers,second tote has bout 400 liters of fluidised k1,these are fed by 2 x 4" dia airlifts pumpin 5-6000 gal each,moulded glassfiber tank connectors for the 2 x 6" returns.totes cost £20 each and a load of sewer pipe for making airlifts and plumbing.cheap but works grand : )

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
http://flic.kr/p/bzqF6C
filter system on my main tank,2 x 1000 liter totes,one has mechanical and hundreds of pot scrubbers,second tote has bout 400 liters of fluidised k1,these are fed by 2 x 4" dia airlifts pumpin 5-6000 gal each,moulded glassfiber tank connectors for the 2 x 6" returns.totes cost £20 each and a load of sewer pipe for making airlifts and plumbing.cheap but works grand : )
Awesome! What size tank are you filtering with those monsters?

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
my bucket filter sits inside my DIY sump, but it basically holds a filter sock with bio underneath it. I made a hole in the lids just the right size, so when the sock gets too dirty and starts holding back too much water, the sock falls and the loud water noise wells me it is time to change it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store