Postal Stories/Rants Good, Bad and Ugly. Post Here

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Greetings FishKeepers,
I recently had a thread posted about a recent mailing experience I had but what are your guys stories in regard to mailing aquarium fish/plants. What's the longest it has ever taken to send or receive a package or what is the most blatant disregard for the safety of a package you have ever seen? If anyone has any good stories , their package miraculously arrives in 1 day, instead of 3 or similar encounter, let us know. Also if anyone knows any tricks to avoid shipping costs or unique ways of packaging, post that too. Come on guys, spill your guts.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tricks to avoid shipping costs?.....LOL!
A few years ago I sold a gold wolffish to a fellow member.I had to ship it to him via UPS.Well me and the other member made numerous calls to UPS because the packags had gotten lost at some point.The other member and I knew that time was running out for the wolf and the package was never found.
That was the main reason why I no longer like to ship fish.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I had some Discus come Fed ex a couple months ago. I cheaped out on the shipping and instead of the fish coming first thing in the morning they came after 7 in the evening. I sat and watched the driver try to decide on delivering the package bc it was leaking! I thought the fish would be dead for sure, but they were actually in great shape, and took to their new home like nothing had happened :D

Reactions: Wailua Boy

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
The problems I have had with shipping don't exist.. Yup, I've never has a problem with shipping. I'll give you my secret if you'd like?..

I CAN'T HAVE FISH SHIPPED!!!
Not even from elsewhere in the country! Just move to an area where quarantine levels are through the roof, then the only problem you'll have with shipping live plants/animals is that you can't ship live plants and animals.. Haha ;)

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Not fish, but i bought a barrel in the US off Ebay. Had it shipped to the missus, then she posted it to me. That was 3-4 months ago. It's still not here..I'm guessing it's lost to the ages. She also didnt send it with tracking. RIP $350.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
When I sold something and have to ship it out, I would go with signature required and Tracking ID option even if I charged the buyer with regular shipping charge :) and sometime I paid for insurance too if it's expensive item from my own pocket (the buyer gain) as long I still make benefit out of the total sell hehehe.
Note: If you buy something from Amazon don't pay extra for guarantee 2 days shipping because you probably will get it after 2 days with the free/regular shipping charge LOL

Last edited:

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I had FedEx lose a package once and deliver it next day, OSA sent me the Xingu bass, it was perfectly fine and happy, excellent packaging and a big kudos goes to I think it was Scott (or Steve, so long ago) from Ocean State Aquatics for being the one to handle it on my behalf and gave FedEx a piece of his and my mind and offered me a discount if the fish arrived alive, which I declined because of his great service.

Not fish related specifically, but aquarium related ebay has a global shipping program now that pays the duties and taxes up front when shipping internationally. I would strongly advise you contact the shipper directly and purchase from them via credit card and have them ship regular postal service. Reason 1) it takes longer because seller ships to GSP facility, which then sorts it and ships it to you, thus increasing time and cost associated with shipping. Reason 2) those that order international know that only 10% of your packages or so get checked for the value, so there is a really good chance you will likely not get charged duties anyway, so why not take the risk? If they charge so be it, but for ebay to take it up front (and I can't be 100% sure they will pay it for sure either if it doesn't get caught) seems like a big hassle to me.

Also in regards to UPS when shipping international, they offer a brokerage service for a fee that does something similar. What it does is they pay the taxes and charge you a % on top for doing so. When you get an package from UPS internationally refuse it and ask them to hold it at their local facility. Then go to your local customs office with the invoice, and the shipping manifest and "self-clear" the package. You will still have to pay the duties/taxes, but for a tiny bit of leg work you can avoid their stupid charge, which isn't much on small items, but turns out to be a lot on big items. Then just call the facility on your way out the door with the form # that customs gives you and pick up the package on your way home.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
So your saying they never found the package?

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
we used to use UPS until a lot of our fish ended up be delivered dead. This was due to a ridicullous shipping manner of back tracking. We now try and use air shipping cost more but way better results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store