Potamotrygon Histrix, Columbia and peru..?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
That is interesting, because the price variation is usually not much varied from a motoro to a false hystrix.. wonder why that is over there.. Captive Bred? Colombian Motoros? Shipping Size? DOA rate? I don't know.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
andersp90;1359707; said:
3000 kr = 600 dollars. for a "real" hystrix.. Could it be a true hystrix..?
Considering that price lists looks to be a 100% Peru/Colombia, no Brazil..

Unless they are purchasing only captive bred hystrix (from europe), and 95% of the other stingrays available are imported.. which I highly doubt.

Why would they pay extra for captive breds when they can sell the false hystrix at an extreme rate?

Ask them if it's captive bred or when they were imported, that will answer your question..

RARE AFISHINADO

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
Miles

The fisherman do not call the rays hystrix to make a larger profit, they just mis id the rays. To be honest unless it is going to get them alot more money they couldnt care if they had the exact id correct. The fisherman in peru selling Flower rays years ago had no idea that a ray from colombia also called the flower ray was more sought after. All they knew is that they had a brown looking ray with flowerlike spots.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I can agree with that.. but I have heard of exporters who have been corrected on this mis-ID but refuse to correct the problem because another species might be less desirable or already designated for another type of ray..

It's funny that they can properly ID expensive rays but happen to mis-ID cheap rays..

just like I see wholesalers still trying to sell super-expensive peruvian flower rays, calling them 'REAL' flower rays.. when they only import peruvian rays.

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
"It's funny that they can properly ID expensive rays but happen to mis-ID cheap rays.."

That is funny..... its just how the system works... just like alot of things in this world.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store