potential idea.. just thinkin' outloud.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I think something you should consider is how many serious fish keepers would you estimate live near you? Like how many people on mfk have you met that live with a few miles of you? And how have other LFS done in your area?

I see the really successful independent LFS like 405 tropical and Tongs tropical in westminster ca have a lot of serious fishkeepers and mfk members who live nearby. Those are the people who will buy the expensive filters and $50 fish that will make you money. I see people buy $100 coral frags from tongs whenever i go there. If you don't have serious fishkeepers by you, you'll probably have people with the small 10-20 gallon tanks and who will only buy bettas or mollies or feeder goldfish from you. Your store won't survive if most of your customers are like that. So I would really think about your customer base and remeber that store location is crucial.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
i think i may put together a business plan and go see the small business folks..

the only other exotic tropical fish store in this town was in a run down strip mall and they made it a couple years into the recession because of loyal customers, but had to give it up, the recession was just too much for them in the location that they were in. i wish i had their 1K gallon tank though.. that was a NICE tank. i used to go in there just to see who was in the tank. i met my first live Cichla Ocellaris in that tank.

i think, that if they had a better location, in a better neighborhood, or at least a better maintained strip mall, they might have survived.

the cool thing about this building is that it's stand alone, on a busy street, less than a half mile from a very well used freeway on/off ramp and 1 block from a busy and popular gas station. and since it's not in a strip mall, i may be allowed to paint the outside of the building, maybe find someone to paint a mural of an aquarium with arowana and cichla on the side of the building that faces the busy street. maybe i could apply for a permit so i can keep fish or animals for exhibit that aren't for sale too (probably not the first thing..lol). There is a reptile store in town used to let you buy a mouse to feed to the lizards and/or snakes (profit, feed and exhibit all in one) that were for sale, i don't know if they still do.

i really would want it to be a food/supply store and an exhibit before i would want it to be a place that sells animals or fish. i'll probably keeps some exotic fish for sale and possibly (but not likely) some reptiles. but most of the live animals that will be for sale will be feeders (crickets, bugs, mice, rats, chicks, and a variety of feeder fish). i already raise feeder mice (for my snakes and for sale), increasing that operation wouldn't take much effort. i have some convicts that i raise for feeders so my cichla get a treat now and then (this is an operation that needs to be expanded now.. lol).

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
If you can do it, now is the time. Low borrowing costs, low land value. You say the stores been empty for a while, I'm sure the landlord will take low offers on rent, and as a contractor, my prices and profit have never been lower.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
You a contractor Anchovie? Public works or smaller stuff?

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
yea, the store has been empty since at least 2007.. (i know they had moved while my ex still lived here), i know the property sold at least once, and it's been listed for lease by at least 3 different real estate companies. About 6 or 8 months ago i saw some trucks out by the back of the store and the loading dock. i've also seen the back door that opens onto the empty field left standing open a couple times. The field behind the store is no longer empty, they are building warehouse/distribution buildings there now.

i'm looking into making a business plan, and i guess i need to drive up to the store and see if i can find the real estate agents or the management company that i need to contact about the space too.. can't really write a business plan until i know how much the rent is.. lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store