Pothos Plants vs bioballs

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with oddball, water changes do much more than just removing nitrate.
Even though I have both, I still do plenty of water changes.
And bio media, and pothos do 2 different tasks.
Bio media convert toxic ammonia and nitrite produced by fish and metabolism to "less" toxic nitrate, in other words produce nitrate.
Pothos use the nitrate.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
My point is if you add more filter, you can reduce and not eliminate water changes and if you do massive water changes, like 50 percent a week, it negates the need for biological filtration.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
My point is if you add more filter, you can reduce and not eliminate water changes and if you do massive water changes, like 50 percent a week, it negates the need for biological filtration.
I disagree. Without the biological filtration your fish would be swimming in ammonia all week until the next water change rather than nitrates.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I think you'd need an aweful lot of pothos to negate the need for waterchanges but others have confirmed they do help keep nitrate levels more manageable between water changes. I have 2 tanks with pothos. I haven't been testing parameters.

uploadfromtaptalk1408549647680.jpg
Here's some simply put in a HOB filter.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I disagree. Without the biological filtration your fish would be swimming in ammonia all week until the next water change rather than nitrates.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
X2

Regardless of how many filters or how many water changes, if ammonia isn't turned into nitrite then into nitrate via beneficial bacteria then you'd be dealing with a bunch of sick or dead fish. Nitrates being less harmful to fish are then reduced via water changes and plants that absorb them.

I do 35-50% water changes weekly and if I have time during the week I try to do it twice. That and the plants I have growing help me keep my fish happy, my nitrite and ammonia levels at zero and my nitrates in an acceptable range.

As to the original question, I'd add some pothos vs the extra bio balls. If you already have an established tank, then I doubt you'll need any extra bio media and would probably have a greater benefit from some plants to absorb nitrates.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Ok thanks, I will retain my water changes, I reckon the mechanical / biological / plant filter would keep the fish happy and just in case I am not able to change water for the week should help until the next water change

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Stick with your current water change sked since it's not enough volume to begin with.
I only change 10-15% (occasionally 20%) per week and rarely, if ever, see nitrates above 10ppm. My fish haven't dropped dead from a lack of ions and minerals, in fact my tap water (rain water) is almost completely devoid of minerals (usually 6-8ppm TDS). Big water changes are great for heavily stocked tanks, but I very much doubt they are necessary for light to moderately stocked tanks, especially with the use of Pothos.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I think you'd need an aweful lot of pothos to negate the need for waterchanges but others have confirmed they do help keep nitrate levels more manageable between water changes. I have 2 tanks with pothos. I haven't been testing parameters.
I did a calculation in another thread (the stickied Pothos thread F1 Vet began) using readings and information he provided over many weeks. I calculated that 1 pothos of moderate size (3 branches-8 or so leaves) can consume the nitrate produced by a singe 2-lb fish. For comparison that would be a single 14 inch Oscar.

Smaller pothos would be less effective. Larger ones more effective. More light would aid in faster growth although there was no special light or high powered light used in the study. The pothos only "fixes" the nitrate (similar to carbon fixation) and so the pothos have to eventually be removed to permanently remove nitrate. (There is also some likely degree of nitrogen volitalization as well where nitrogen gas is disbursed into the air.)

This assumes one is feeding daily at 1.5% net weight of the fish (using 10% moisture food @ 50% protein) and that the pothos is actively growing. For comparison in many studies I have seen, full grown adult fish require around .75-1.25% daily net weight in food (dry pellets, 37-45% protein) for normal activity and maintenance.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
The roots act like bio balls, in the 75 I have zero media, just roots, 000 across the board.

In the 300 I have bio balls, but mainly for the roots to grab on to. 4'x2' jungle.
fish2 by smetters20, on Flickr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store