power efficient ways to heat a tank

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Most heat loss will not be through the glass, but through evaporation. As water evaporates it sheds a LOT of heat energy. I you can cover your tanks to reduce evap. this will help the most.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
having 2 heaters, hung at an angle will help with a stable temp,increase the life of the heaters. a heater hung straight up and down will click on and off more as heat rises, if hung at an angle you will get better stability as the thermostat will get a better reading of what your tank temp is, not just whats coming off the heater itself. and then as mentioned any insulation and a good cover.

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
I'm planning on doing a heat exchanger to heat my large tank with the water heater. It is much more efficient. Here is the old thread on here that shows you everything. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...r-Automatic-Water-Changes&highlight=exchanger Also, YouTube have videos on how to make it too. I think it is easier to make with the YouTube video. You can also buy the heat exchange unit on Amazon but you still have to add the circulating pump for the hot water, check valve for the hot water line, and the Ranco Controller to run the circulating pump.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I get these statements from my power company each month comparing my electric use to my neighbors. I'm always like 300% compared to them. lol If I build another tank I will definitely plumb a gas water heater into it.
I get the same usage statements. I've seen my neighbors and we were both #97 out of 100 neighbors. I think they are a load of crap

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I use a hot water drip as natural gas is really cheap here so I knock out two birds with one stone so to speak. My water stay at 80f and I get a 24/7 waterchange at a cost of roughly $5 a month on a 700 gallon system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store