Power outage?

XxPROTERRORxX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2012
Kansas
We might have snow(I doubt we will since its february and we have yet to have any) but for future reference, if we had a power outage. how long could the fish survive without the heater and filters? THANKS!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There's no definite time factor. It all depends on aquarium (glass or acrylic), tank volume, efficiency of tank cover, w/d or canister filter, bio-load, amount of temp drop in the house, etc.

Best bet is to schedule a water change before the risk of power loss occurs. If you're pretty sure there's going to be a power failure, don't feed that day. Best defense is to purchase an emergency backup generator before your area is worried about a power failure. Keep a full gas can in the shed (or 2) and you could get the tank through a loss with no worries.

CichlidJoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Massachusetts
There's no definite time factor. It all depends on aquarium (glass or acrylic), tank volume, efficiency of tank cover, w/d or canister filter, bio-load, amount of temp drop in the house, etc.

Best bet is to schedule a water change before the risk of power loss occurs. If you're pretty sure there's going to be a power failure, don't feed that day. Best defense is to purchase an emergency backup generator before your area is worried about a power failure. Keep a full gas can in the shed (or 2) and you could get the tank through a loss with no worries.
Couldn't agree more! I lost my whole tank during this October's snow storm. I lived in an apartment complex and didn't have the capability to run a generator.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
I have a power generator with gas ready to be prepares for winter. But sometimes you wonder, do I just roll the thing out and run it every time I have an outage, especially when it's very early in the morning? Well, I did not when we had a 4-hour outage at 4'ish in the morning (when most of my neighbors were sleeping through it!). It was because I knew for certain that the power would be restored in 3-4 hours (estimate from the electric company) due to weather being not bad and our transformer being the only one in surrounding areas needed service. And the fact that I knew my fish would do fine without air supply and filters running for 6-8 hours, and I was monitoring the inside temperature closely. So my threshold is at 5 hours or when the temp drops down to below 70F, whichever comes first.

Just speaking out from my experience which might help you OP to determine your plans...

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
We might have snow(I doubt we will since its february and we have yet to have any) but for future reference, if we had a power outage. how long could the fish survive without the heater and filters? THANKS!
apparently you don't remember about a late snow storm in March some winters ago...so don't rule it out just yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store