Powerhead -vs- air pump

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
freeskierrocket;973024; said:
so was i correct in stating that angling a powerhad at an upward angle, agitating the surface would be optimal??...........waterflow & gas exchange....
As long as you break the surface tension, otherwise it's not that efficient.

T1KARMANN;973045; said:
i can never understand why people even bother with power heads

you may aswell use a inturnal filter atleast its doing something except just blow air
Powerheads are used to create currents in larger tanks, and to direct flow to the filter pick-ups, internal filters output are not that strong.

freeskierrocket;973047; said:
you got it backwards.......powerheads move water (critical to a closed system) and **air** pumps move air hence making bubbles!!!!
Both do both...powerhead with air injection makes the bubbles and airstones and wands move water.

T1KARMANN;973111; said:
an internal filter moves water the same way as a power head you just add a defuser the same as a power head
diffuser? huh?

Fry;973571; said:
i used my powerheads to drive sponge filters but i didn't want to do maintenance on the sponge filters anymore so i took them out, the powerheads are maintenance free without filters on them and last virtually forever unlike air pumps, the ones i buy also double as water pumps and we can think of many areas where that will be useful, these are all the reasons why i like using powerheads :)
How (and what brands / models) do you use them for pumps?

Dr Joe

chadc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
From personal experience, I found the hard way last night that an air pump will out do a powerhead, had a 2 port eterna air pump, took it out and put in a 1000gal per hour power head, within 6 hours (i went out of the house for a while) I had 11 fish die, was an expensive learning experience.

I have a tricky tank in that it is about 580 litres and 110 cms long and 25 cms deep. It is just over 120cms tall, so the amount of surface area to tank water is pretty low compared to most tanks. I am having trouble finding the best way to keep the tank airated, and can now understand why I see a lot of big tanks with huge air bubllers in them...

Chad

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
the inturnal filters i use are 1200lph and i have seen inturnal filters with a turn over of 2400lph how strong do you want the flow

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
Dr Joe;973753; said:
How (and what brands / models) do you use them for pumps?

Dr Joe

I haven't actually used them as pumps yet but they're supposed to work as pumps as they're advertised and labeled that way. They are Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pumps. I use the 400s in smaller tanks and a 1200 in a larger tank. I'm very impressed with the Maxi-Jets, they have just about every feature and accessory included that you would expect from a powerhead.

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
chadc;973817; said:
From personal experience, I found the hard way last night that an air pump will out do a powerhead, had a 2 port eterna air pump, took it out and put in a 1000gal per hour power head, within 6 hours (i went out of the house for a while) I had 11 fish die, was an expensive learning experience.

I have a tricky tank in that it is about 580 litres and 110 cms long and 25 cms deep. It is just over 120cms tall, so the amount of surface area to tank water is pretty low compared to most tanks. I am having trouble finding the best way to keep the tank airated, and can now understand why I see a lot of big tanks with huge air bubllers in them...

Chad
Good lord :eek: :eek: Where did you get a 1000gph "powerhead". Sounds more like a sump return pump at that rate. Did it comes with surfboards for the fish?
Man that sounds like a LOT of current in the tank.

chadc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
ercnan;974178; said:
Good lord :eek: :eek: Where did you get a 1000gph "powerhead". Sounds more like a sump return pump at that rate. Did it comes with surfboards for the fish?
Man that sounds like a LOT of current in the tank.
Its VIA AQUA 3600, it is a powerhead, I am sure if you put fittings onto it, you could use it as a return pump, or to power a showerbar or a jet ski...

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
maybe it wasnt that the power jet is worse then a pump that killed your fish maybe it was the 1000GPH smashing the fish against the glass
:ROFL:

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Both systems...set up properly...provide good gas exchange and adiquate water movement however air driven units can be used in an emergancy by battery powered air pumps and so add an extra level of protection and safety.

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
chadc;974231; said:
Its VIA AQUA 3600, it is a powerhead, I am sure if you put fittings onto it, you could use it as a return pump, or to power a showerbar or a jet ski...
That pump doesn't have a venturi. If it's a closed/semi-closed system, they will run out of oxygen eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store