Primary seal question

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I cannot speak for all the edges, but I absolutely murdered my hand replacing the trim pieces on a 40b. There was blood everywhere, the top pane was razor sharp unfinished glass.

Protip- dont drink and reseal tanks.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Finally got around to removing the frame and I've made some interesting discoveries. First, the silicone on the back side that attaches the rear glass to the bottom panel appears to be missing in spots (either it gave way or was never there, I can't tell). In this picture, you can see where the black silicone is missing and sand has gotten into the space (the white sand is visible on my metal scraper). Think that probably explains why the seal didn't hold. I'm now really glad I didn't try to apply a new secondary seal.

photo.JPG

I tried removing the top frame first but it wasn't coming off easy. There is still white silicone underneath the top frame, so I can tell it was never removed when the tank was resealed. I'm hoping I can get that frame off the tank.

I also emailed Oceanic and aquariumparts.com to see about getting a new frame. We'll see if I have any luck.

photo.JPG

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Got the bottom frame, the bottom panel and the side panels off. Now I still have to get the top frame off the front and the back panels. Not going to be as easy. Think that's the original silicone and it's on there really tight.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Have a new question I'm hoping someone can help with. Still working on removing the top frame and it cracked around one of the center supports. Didn't break all the way through. If I reseal that crack, will the frame still be strong enough to support the tank?

Still would like to find a new frame, if possible.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
This is an old oceanic tank yea? Everything I've read said the trim adds nothing in the way of structural strength. The center glass brace is the only extra bit really needed. Fixing the crack would be fine if that is indeed true.

Newer tanks are a different story since the trim includes a center brace.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
There is no glass center brace on this tank. I don't know how much support the plastic braces actually provide.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Some of the old oceanic tanks were very heavy duty, very thick glass and built very well and could maybe get along with out the center brace.

That said, even after repairs, I would not chance it. I would either find a new plastic brace for it (they do much more than you would think) or add a glass euro brace. Either option will work, but be sure to choose one of them. You have enough risks with this tank, why add one more?

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Thanks for the responses. I almost have the top frame off. Once I'm done I'll have to assess the damage and see if it's worth salvaging. It's not that bad really, but the crack in that center support concerns me.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
The center brace is cracked? Sorry, I thought you meant the trim around the outside of the tank.
If it's a piece that runs front to back in the top middle of the aquarium, it's very important. I've read of (never tried) that getting a piece of glass 10+" in width, and silicone it in place will work well as a center brace. Many older aquariums used this method, but it adds labor and cost over a cheap plastic trip with a built in center piece.

I've an old 75 oceanic sitting next to me, the center brace is 10" wide, and 3/8ths thick, if that helps as a starting point.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Trim pieces are super cheap at my lfs

Do your self a favor, pick up some new trim.

When you're all done it'll be a brand new tank

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store