Michigan
sounds fun wish i was closer..

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Yellow_Perch;5119049; said:
you remember him huh?..lmao and damn right he trolls it and doesnt even understand fishing
yeah hahaha - looking at the first couple pages he already did >__< means he'll be back. awesome :ROFL:

Mr.Geoff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2004
St.Louis
Joe M;5118825; said:
The fish is here, but it needs to be removed one way or another.

I would love to have a snakehead, but I'm not stupid. They don't belong here, and they should be killed on sight in native waters. Just like your beloved oscar in Florida. It doesn't belong and I have absolutely no sympathy for invasive species. They should be fine in a tank, but the minute they are released they have no right to live.
word. A buddy of mine was applying for a grad school program where he'd be flown into the Everglades to survive native fishes, they professor said he'd also get a machette and kill anything not native on sight regaurdless of size or what it was doing.

Dreamsofpeace54

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Maryland
theyve done studies on the snakeheads in the potomac, they arent eating bass. theyre feeding on the same forage as the bass. the overwhelming amounts of shad and baitfish. anyone who thinks these things are going to hurt the bass population is wrong. the potomac is home to the biggest bass in maryland. if anything the snakeheads will make the bass population stronger as helping to weed out the small ones.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Joe M;5118825; said:
The fish is here, but it needs to be removed one way or another.
What does one way or another mean, how do you propose to remove them? Do you seriously think that a bunch of guys with fishing rods and beer coolers can do the job?

Joe M;5118825; said:
I would love to have a snakehead, but I'm not stupid. They don't belong here, and they should be killed on sight in native waters. Just like your beloved oscar in Florida. It doesn't belong and I have absolutely no sympathy for invasive species. They should be fine in a tank, but the minute they are released they have no right to live.
Based on what? Its survival of the fittest in nature, if you think you can influence that process across an entire ecosystem I have a bridge to sell you.

pshtex;5118924; said:
i guess people just don't realize how much damage invasive species can actually do. well they can basically destroy large amounts of an ecosystem if not the entire thisg.
Can you provide an example of an ecosystem that was destroyed by snakeheads?

bigfishrcool1193

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
I would hate to see the snake heads spread to anywhere else, just imagine if they could eventually be found throughout the whole US...

Someone mentioned that native fish species have been relocated, what if someone catches a snake head, has no clue what it is and, being stupid, moves it into a different body of water where snake heads aren't found already... and what if someone else does the same thing?

There are too many "what if" situations.

I will kill any invasive species I happen to catch in Arizona, like gar and in northern Arizona, northern pike, AZ G&F doesn't want them here in our waterways, hence the reason it is illegal to have one.

Mr.Geoff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2004
St.Louis
Oscarum monstruoso;5119282; said:
What does one way or another mean, how do you propose to remove them? Do you seriously think that a bunch of guys with fishing rods and beer coolers can do the job?
Electroshocking is a very effective way of doing it.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
The snakehead thing is really over blown. Nature will adapt like it always does. It's been consistently shown that snakeeads aren't hurting native bass or peacock bass in Florida. Their huge spawns feed juvenile bass and other sport fish. Don't believe everything you hear on tv guys...

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
jpwolf;5119673; said:
i wonder if they have spread to NJ yet ide love to try and catch one
I hope they will spread to Holland:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store