Problems with my Lunar Wrasse

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
My Lunar Wrasse (Thalassoma lunare) has been swimming in circles. He's eating well but instead of him bombing around the tank like he normally does, it's just in a circle in the center of the tank.

The only time he moved in a different direction is when I reached in to grab the leftover shells from my triggers diner and he hid somewhere in the base rock. He doesn't have any issues with his tankmates...they keep to themselves.

Some specs on the tank:
125 gallon, 3 Emperor 404s, 79 degrees, weekly water changes of 25%.

I'm stumped on this one...has anyone else experienced this?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
is it possible that the trigger is keeping him in one place?
how long have they been together?

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
BIGgourami;804217; said:
is it possible that the trigger is keeping him in one place?
how long have they been together?
They've been together for a while. The trigger is a big baby...he spends all his time trying to pull the snails off the glass. :screwy:

I thought that it may be the trigger at first, but when I feed the tank they are side by side eating off of the same piece of krill. There is almost no aggression between any of the fish in this tank. It's driving me nuts...and I don't want to lose this wrasse. :cry:

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
I forgot to mention that when I went in to turn on the lights, the other fish were in the coral and wrasse was still swimming in a circle (about a 1' diameter circle) even though no one else was out.

turbo21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2007
pittsburgh
www.freewebs.com
if he is eating, and showing no signs of ich or other diseases i wouldn't worry about it,
wrasses sometimes are strange, i once had a paddlefin wrasse that would love to jump out of the water and back in like a dolphin

the paddlefin i have now, will sometimes hibernate for a few days, not even coming out to feed, and just when i think he died, he shows up at feeding time:confused:

bob

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
turbo21;804834; said:
if he is eating, and showing no signs of ich or other diseases i wouldn't worry about it,
wrasses sometimes are strange, i once had a paddlefin wrasse that would love to jump out of the water and back in like a dolphin

the paddlefin i have now, will sometimes hibernate for a few days, not even coming out to feed, and just when i think he died, he shows up at feeding time:confused:

bob
Thanks Turbo. That must have been an interesting sight with the paddlefin.

I'm hoping he pulls through. It's funny you mentioned the hiding because he bolted to the corals yesterday, and I just talked to my girlfriend and asked her if the wrasse has come out yet and she said he has been MIA all day.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Yeah i have what we call a flame wrasse that dissapears into the gravel for days at a time then will just randomly pop up from the gravel one day when food goes in.

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Thanks everyone. It seems like he will be ok based on some of the posts here. When I was feeding last night, he took two HUGE pieces of krill as well as the carnivore mix so I'm feeling better about his survival. This is the first wrasse that I have owned and I was not expecting some of the behavior that I've seen.

Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store