Project True Riffle

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
On the way home with fish. I got 7 darters (4 different species) and 8 minnows. I'll give specifics once they're in my tank.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Id highly recommend doing a native setup, my smallest native tank is a 5.5G so size isn't much of an issue, I know some people on nanfa that have used plastic shoe boxes with powerheads and HOBs as riffle tanks.
Well the other issue is during the winter in house, I'd have no problem holding those temps easily, but during the summer I might need a chiller... I'm assuming longer shallower tanks work best?

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well the other issue is during the winter in house, I'd have no problem holding those temps easily, but during the summer I might need a chiller... I'm assuming longer shallower tanks work best?

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah shallow tanks are better. When I collect darters I'll get them in less than 3-4" of water in long stretches.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Fish are all in the tank and 5 of the 8 minnows are doing great, 1 is struggling, and 2 are dead. All the darters are doing awesome though. Stock is currently:

5 Mimic Shiners
1 Sand Shiner
2 Rainbow Darters (1M,1F)
2 Variegate Darters (1M,1F)
2 Greenside Darters (1M,1F)
1 Banded Darter (1F)

I might add some more darters eventually but for now I need to work on scraping the tank as there's only 2 good caves for them to escape current which they all seem to crowd around, thankfully with no aggression issues as they're already "darter piling" :).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just about every fish is already eating brine shrimp, only ones I didn't directly observe eating it were the variegates but they probably had one or two when I wasn't looking. Pretty soon I'm going to get some plastic plants to add for some green, add some more caves, and get a black background.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The two minnows that were sick last night are now swimming in th current with the others so I think they're going to make it. Every fish ate this morning.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
keep it going man, I love my native 40B. my three rainbow darters are doing awesome, so much personality to those little fish! they beg at the glass when I sit and watch the tank haha.

P.S. you remember that stickleback you ID'd for me? He took to frozen bloodworms easily! Awesome fish, swims and acts alot like an esox species, constant fin movement but motionless suspending in the water haha. Keep an eye out for some of them in your shiners for fishing man, you'd love some in your tank!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
keep it going man, I love my native 40B. my three rainbow darters are doing awesome, so much personality to those little fish! they beg at the glass when I sit and watch the tank haha.

P.S. you remember that stickleback you ID'd for me? He took to frozen bloodworms easily! Awesome fish, swims and acts alot like an esox species, constant fin movement but motionless suspending in the water haha. Keep an eye out for some of them in your shiners for fishing man, you'd love some in your tank!
Thanks! All the rainbows I've had so far seem to have been hiders so hopefully these ones will stay out more. The greensides are the most personable so far and my banded isn't far behind. I might go back down to the river next weekend and try to get another male banded.

Once my fishroom is up I'll be setting up a 10G or two to breed brook stickles.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
All the fish are still doing great and they're all eating voraciously. What's nice about this tank is when I feed brine or bloodworms the powerhead will endlessly cycle it around the tank until something eats it which makes it look like live invertibrates to the fish making it more appealing to eat.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone's doing awesome and the fish are becoming more and more outgoing towards each other and me. Only skittish fish left is the male Variegate and the only hider is the banded darter.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store