MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Sucks to lose them but what made you think it wouldn't eat another gar?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 that is a big size difference, just a fish being a fish imo

*Go S. Vettel #1 RBR! 3 BACK TO BACK WDC AND CONSTRUCTERS! :cheers:
IME gars usually are not predatory towards other gar species at larger sizes. Little gars will eat anything they think will fit, including other gars. Once they get some size on them though I've found that they will ignore smaller gars, and not consider them as being food.

I have kept 6-8" gars with 16-18" ones without losing any to predation. With that said there can be other issues related to such a large size difference, such as the larger gars outcompeting the smaller ones. As with any potential combination some common sense is needed when deciding to place fish together. The individual temperments and behaviours have to be taken into account.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
IME gars usually are not predatory towards other gar species at larger sizes. Little gars will eat anything they think will fit, including other gars. Once they get some size on them though I've found that they will ignore smaller gars, and not consider them as being food.

I have kept 6-8" gars with 16-18" ones without losing any to predation. With that said there can be other issues related to such a large size difference, such as the larger gars outcompeting the smaller ones. As with any potential combination some common sense is needed when deciding to place fish together. The individual temperments and behaviours have to be taken into account.
that is my experense. it was a smaller florida that ate my smaller cuban before. this trop just picked on the bowfin and rubbed on the big trop. it would bit the larger gars bt leave smaller ones alone. it has been with smaller lng and other gars without issues. that is why i mixed them. they have been fine for a while not even interested in the smaller gars. then it just grabbed them at random.

as to the mice. i live in an apartment, and an old one at that. it is winter now so the mice are running inside everything they can. if the smaller gar jumped out at night and a mouse found it it would take it and prevent me from finding it on the floor when i looked for it.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Sorry for your loss, man.

As I said before, I'm not surprised that particular tropical gar was the culprit based on their murderous nature while in their previous owner's aquarium(s). I think it would be a smart idea to move it to another aquarium before it starts systematically taking out the other smaller gars considering that it's killed at least three tankmates by now.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Sorry for your loss, man.

As I said before, I'm not surprised that particular tropical gar was the culprit based on their murderous nature while in their previous owner's aquarium(s). I think it would be a smart idea to move it to another aquarium before it starts systematically taking out the other smaller gars considering that it's killed at least three tankmates by now.
thanks.

i was told it was fine with smaller gars. if i remember right it only took out or partisipated in taking out a ray. this is the smaller trop that has done this. the bigger one is fine, that one is the one from h2o's 4k display. this smaller one (the problem one) i am not 100% if h2o brought it in for mike or if this was one he got from another member on here.

i cant move it out because at this time i only have a 125gal as an option and it is 20" or so. that is also the tank my hystrix is in and it has killed one of them before. so that leaves me with the options of wait it out or sell it. i dont want to sell it. so that leaves me with waiting it out. the next smallest gars in the tank are 13-15". them being my cuban, a lng and a florida. the only one i am remotly concerned for would be the lng. my other 2 lng are 18-19" but this one is 13-14". not very girthy like the fl or cuban. i can tell you this if it starts f'ing with the cuban it is out. i am going to try to increase the feedings to try and curb the aggresstion. i am going to have to do some filtration boosts though. i may this weekend put my 1000gph hydroponic system into effect.

man do i have some thinking to do...

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I never dealt with gar-on-gar aggression, aside from a spotted gar which I put in the five hundred a bit prematurely. There were small florida gars in with the wolf pack during the years I had them.

I also noticed the majority of my aggression at the start of adding my trops, similar to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store