Proper care for Red Terrors fry?

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
So my red terrors completely surprised me and spawned. Any advice would be helpful. Will the parents eat them eventually? I’m getting mixed information online. If I can keep them alive and healthy they will go up for sale first come first serve. Here’s a link of the little guys :

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my red terrors completely surprised me and spawned. Any advice would be helpful. Will the parents eat them eventually? I’m getting mixed information online. If I can keep them alive and healthy they will go up for sale first come first serve. Here’s a link of the little guys :
Congrats!
If this is the parents first spawn then yes possible for them to eat them. I think letting the parents raise the fry would give them experience and be easier on you.

When you feed the parents say for example pellets the crushed food that expell from the gills will provide some food for the fry once in the free-swimming stage. You can crush up some pellets. Do you have any algae growing in the aquarium? If so the fry will find microorganism to feed on.
duanes duanes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Congrats!
If this is the parents first spawn then yes possible for them to eat them. I think letting the parents raise the fry would give them experience and be easier on you.

When you feed the parents say for example pellets the crushed food that expell from the gills will provide some food for the fry once in the free-swimming stage. You can crush up some pellets. Do you have any algae growing in the aquarium? If so the fry will find microorganism to feed on.
duanes duanes
I agree.
Allowing algae to grow usually helps between feedings.
I usually feed fry 5 or more small meals a day once free swimming, and hatch brine shrimp. Mix the brine shrimp nauplii with pureed pellets and thawed peas in tank water.
I like to shoot pureed food into the school of fry with a pipette or turkey baster
below brine shrimp hatcheries
After the fry put on growth I like to separate them by size, into 2 or 3 grow out tanks, otherwise the larger fry eat the smaller ones.
It usually takes a few months to get them to a size that is right for distribution.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
+1.
It’s easier to let parents raise them.
You could split the spawn and raise some yourself, and let the parents keep some to practice on.
Festae fry do just fine with crushed pellets or flakes, adding newly hatched brine shrimp will give them a good boost and help max out the survival rate.

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
Congrats!

duanes duanes

thanks ! I hope they don’t eat them but we’ll see. I’m going to try and set up a 10 gallon and let them grow out for a bit and I guess the ones I can’t catch will be at the mercy of the parents. I have a pleco in there that locks that tank clean but maybe they can get some he misses. I have a very soft sinking pellet I can feed the parents so they can expel more particles for them. Thanks for the advice !

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
I agree.
Allowing algae to grow usually helps between feedings.
I usually feed fry 5 or more small meals a day once free swimming, and hatch brine shrimp. Mix the brine shrimp nauplii with pureed pellets and thawed peas in tank water.
I like to shoot pureed food into the school of fry with a pipette or turkey baster
below brine shrimp hatcheries
After the fry put on growth I like to separate them by size, into 2 or 3 grow out tanks, otherwise the larger fry eat the smaller ones.
It usually takes a few months to get them to a size that is right for distribution.
Great information, thank you for the feedback!!

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
+1.
It’s easier to let parents raise them.
You could split the spawn and raise some yourself, and let the parents keep some to practice on.
Festae fry do just fine with crushed pellets or flakes, adding newly hatched brine shrimp will give them a good boost and help max out the survival rate.
That is what I will do, I’ll try and let the parents raise some and I’ll split the other lot of them into a 10 gallon and see how it goes ! Very excited to see how they turn out ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store