Pros and cons?

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I have long considered an indoor pond so that I could finally house a few of my "dream" fish. My question is what would be the most "efficient" way to do it as far as energy use. Also, anything that anyone has ran into as far as issues? Things people would have done differently? Heating cost? Just kinda thinking, thank you.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since you are listed as being from Michigan, here's my 2 cents, I'm originally from Wi).
I have kept a 500 gal pool/pond upstairs in my house, a 1000 gal pool/pond in the basement and about 1000 gals in tanks throughout (all tropical tanks were individually insulated with styrofoam sheets).
In mid winter, Jan thru Mar, my energy bill, which includes water heating and pumpage. The fish portion of the bill ran between $300 to $400 per month.
I moved from that house, back in Sept, and to make the house ready for non-fish keeping residents, the entire house needed to be re mediated for for mold. Slight water damage repair was also needed.
My insight would be, if you are going to do an indoor pond, you need to have some sort of moisture removal system put in ahead of time. And also insulate the room, and the pond well before cranking it up. The important work done ahead of time, will save much in the end
I would also add that most natural colored fish will be hard to see, unless they are monsters, if the substrate is a natural color. I have found that using a grey or black liner, and a depth of over 2 feet, most fish will much of the time disappear.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Yea the moisture is actually one of my largest concerns.... I am actually thinking it would be more suited for a well insulated garage.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
There are ways to mitigate the various issues. Keeping it in a basement and/or using the basement walls for some of the sides will help cut heating costs..

You can either close it in via the room itself.. or with a hood or cover. As long as its negatively vented to outside it’ll keep the humidity from effecting the rest of the house.

These are all things I have done on my tank. My heating bills are around 20-30 bucks a month on our coldest months on a 1700 gallon tank.. we get around -10f sometimes.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Wow, I just read a bit on your build thread... Pretty awesome! All the ideas you said I had similar ones. Any updated pics of your tank? I would love to see what it is looking like these days.

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Most important points already covered but here are mine. Most cost for me is heating so i would insulate insulate insulate! But im in uk which is always cold lol.my pond is in my detached garage if done again i would run radiators out there running of central heating im heating the water with 3kw heater and its expensive.my 2nd biggesy problem i came across is moisture im running a dehumidifier 24/7 if i dont especially in winter the walls and cieling are soaked to prevent this i will next time use a cover which would eliminte that problem.also if its a long term build i would put a viwing window in.its one thing looking from above but cant beat side view.and as mentioned ih the fish u want are dark a black pond you will bearly see there beuty

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
ponds without windows are pointless indoors imo, you buy fish to watch.... just go concrete with lots of insulation on all four sides inc the lid and a larger piece of glass or perspex you can afford... I would think in your main living space would be best cost wise as its usually about 20 deg minimum ambient temp, usually in most homes...

gonna have a few thousand gallons one day..... one day!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store