Protein skimmer for freshwater tank!

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
1) Duanes, do you add salt to your water? Is your water hard?

2) Catfishguy, have you tried less salt but found that this was the correct amount, or did you start with that and kept it because it worked?

I'm impressed by what both have posted and starting to think that this is a good idea. I just want to know if there are factors I'm missing.
The more salt you add the better the skimmer will work so what ever amount your fish can handle is what you should use I use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of api freshwater salt I found it work better then normal salt because you can add more of it. It also helps keep fish healthy.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's a short video of mine from last summer.
The pond had some goldfish, a koi and some Uraguayan cichlids back then , Australoheros sp red ceibal.
click on the pic to get it started

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Impressive Duane. I see you use lava rock and your system is considerably lower, smaller, that the one posted above.

The simplicity and the foam production is amazing.

I wonder what is missing, besides a foam container, to be able to such a system indoors...

I think thos is probably the firts instance my wife would think about drawing a line, such a contraption in the house....

j3fg4b

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2023
Roseville, CA
Well we are at almost 10 years later. I wonder if some of you still using the skimmer on freshwater (FW). and the ones that said they would try have anything to share today. I do have a sump from a salt water tank that I am planning on using on a FW. Hopefully, I will have good news to share soon.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Been thinking about after seeing a lot of koi guys out in on their ponds. Let us know if u do.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've been blathering on about building a freshwater protein skimmer for something like 10-15 years now...still haven't done it...

This year for sure! :)

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store