Protein skimmer problem! Need help!!!

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Hi all. I have a 300 gallon display tank and a 112 gallon refugium. My problem is that my skimmer will only work in water depth of 8 inches max. My water level in the refugium needs to be about 14 inches deep. The skimmer only has 3 inches of clearance to the inside top of the stand. I cannot raise the skimmer any higher. I also cannot have the refugium on the outside of the tank. I used to have an external skimmer but it needed to be adjusted constantly so I am staying with the internal skimmer. The skimmer is a Vertex In-250. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue or is there another skimmer out there that can be in deeper water? Thanks for any help.
Rob.

burky_tc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2010
Iowa
Sounds like you are out of luck. I am not sure on any skimmers running in deeper water. Seems like the normal is way less then 14 inches. Personally this is why I stay away from internal skimmers. They are a pain because you have to have water at the same depth.

I run Octopus DNWB 110 external skimmer and I barely ever have to adjust it.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Ya, I may end up building an acrylic box on the back wall to house the skimmer and just plumb it through the wall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store