Pseudopimelodus bufonis

Tain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
Hello,

I recently made a post asking for advice on keeping the c. apurensis. I got some great feedback but after much thought and consideration I've decided that it's just a bit too big for me, at least for now as I would like to stay in the 100-150G range. With that being said I switched my focus to other species, mainly the Pseudopimelodus bufonius (Giant bumblebee).

The big thing is honestly the size, it's obviously smaller than the apurensis. But I did, however, read about other peoples experience on here, and saw things like it being hard to get them to accept dead food aswell as being extremely shy. I would basically just like to see if anyone has something to add, or perhaps some things have changed since those threads were made.

1. Tank size? (For fully grown.)

2. Is it possible to get them to accept anything but live fish?

3. How shy are they after the acclimatization period? Don't mind them hiding but would at least want to get a glimpse every now and then.

4. Do they prefer living alone or in groups?

5. Any info on approximate lifespan?

I would very much appreciate any help and I apologize for asking for more help so soon after making the last post, hopefully that's ok.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would first use the search function on this site. It will help narrow down your questions, as folks have been talking about them more in the last few years.... Keyword bufonis

Reactions: Tain and necrocanis

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I recently made a post asking for advice on keeping the c. apurensis. I got some great feedback but after much thought and consideration I've decided that it's just a bit too big for me, at least for now as I would like to stay in the 100-150G range.
Yeah, this is too small for an apu after 1-2 years.

With that being said I switched my focus to other species, mainly the Pseudopimelodus bufonius (Giant bumblebee).

The big thing is honestly the size, it's obviously smaller than the apurensis. But I did, however, read about other peoples experience on here, and saw things like it being hard to get them to accept dead food aswell as being extremely shy. I would basically just like to see if anyone has something to add, or perhaps some things have changed since those threads were made.

Your target sizing is fine IMhumO.

IME, piece of cake, no special coercion needed; maybe a relatively short fast, if needed.

3. How shy are they after the acclimatization period? Don't mind them hiding but would at least want to get a glimpse every now and then.
They are nocturnal, but to see them is a piece of cake. See my photos on how to make its lair. You'll see it 24/7.

I don't think they are ok in one lair, they'd fight. Perhaps with multiple lairs. They say cant' keep apus together. You saw I kept 4 more or less fine. So it depends.

I'd guess at least 10-20 years?

I would very much appreciate any help and I apologize for asking for more help so soon after making the last post, hopefully that's ok.
It's more than ok. Some people ask about 10 or 20 fish in one thread simultaneously and we try our best to help them. We try not to judge people's needs. If it gets too much for anyone, anyone can ignore anything they want to ignore. As simple as that. It's an open, free and well meaning forum. Plus, in fact it is a pleasure to interact with such a considerate and kind gentleman / gentlelady as yourself, who thinks of others and cares.

Use front glass as one of the walls of a hideout. That's a GBBC sharing a cave with two jaguar catfish:

jags 1.jpgjags 3.jpg

Tain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
I recently made a post asking for advice on keeping the c. apurensis. I got some great feedback but after much thought and consideration I've decided that it's just a bit too big for me, at least for now as I would like to stay in the 100-150G range.
Yeah, this is too small for an apu after 1-2 years.

With that being said I switched my focus to other species, mainly the Pseudopimelodus bufonius (Giant bumblebee).

Your target sizing is fine IMhumO.

IME, piece of cake, no special coercion needed; maybe a relatively short fast, if needed.

They are nocturnal, but to see them is a piece of cake. See my photos on how to make its lair. You'll see it 24/7.

I don't think they are ok in one lair, they'd fight. Perhaps with multiple lairs. They say cant' keep apus together. You saw I kept 4 more or less fine. So it depends.

I'd guess at least 10-20 years?

It's more than ok. Some people ask about 10 or 20 fish in one thread simultaneously and we try our best to help them. We try not to judge people's needs. If it gets too much for anyone, anyone can ignore anything they want to ignore. As simple as that. It's an open, free and well meaning forum. Plus, in fact it is a pleasure to interact with such a considerate and kind gentleman / gentlelady as yourself, who thinks of others and cares.

Use front glass as one of the walls of a hideout. That's a GBBC sharing a cave with two jaguar catfish:

View attachment 1434024View attachment 1434025
Thank you sir, I really do appreciate you taking the time.

I'm very pleased with those answers as they clairfied a couple of things I was worried about. I was curious though, what's your overall take on them? As you mentioned, having experience with apurensis, is GBB a species you would personally recommend? I get the impression that c. apurensis in general have somewhat outgoing personalities but I'm not getting the same vibe from the bufonis. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This seems a matter of personal preference. I'd be bored to have this one fish in a tank laying in its lair all day long but as a part of a community, it can be worked out, albeit there could be problems with aggression and predation (we have members here who has tried GBBC not long ago and described their experience pretty well - do a search on the fish name and J jaws7777 and / or justarn justarn ).

GBBC is a far smaller fish and likely harder to train to come out and hand feed (not that I've tried), whilst with the apu this is innate, no training needed.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
I have kept these in the past, one as an individual in a community tank, later on two, a male and female in the same community tank and another 'black bufonis' species in it's own tank. (That fish enjoyed the company of a Senegal bichir oddly enough).They all lived for 7 or 8 years at least. With the exception of the large 11" black one, the common one's were very shy, never saw them for months on end and there were never any lights in any of my tanks. They being in a catfish community tank with others that were aggressive pellet feeders , the p. bufonis couldn't compete for food so I couldn't wean them off live goldfish. Even the large black one refused everything but live feeders. Obviously others have had success converting them off live, more likely if kept alone and you can make more of an effort than perhaps I did. They don't cruise around like an c. apuensis but just kind of scoot from spot to spot if they move much at all. I don't recall them having much in the way of personality such as an apurensis or a red tail, aside from their good looks, just not all that interesting for me, anyway, but a lot depends on the keeper, the tank environment provided and at times, the individual fish. As with any pseudopimelodid, they may not always get along with their own species, but some do, don't mix them with other pseudopimelodid species and of course no tank mates smaller than themselves, especially expensive one's!

Tain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
I have kept these in the past, one as an individual in a community tank, later on two, a male and female in the same community tank and another 'black bufonis' species in it's own tank. (That fish enjoyed the company of a Senegal bichir oddly enough).They all lived for 7 or 8 years at least. With the exception of the large 11" black one, the common one's were very shy, never saw them for months on end and there were never any lights in any of my tanks. They being in a catfish community tank with others that were aggressive pellet feeders , the p. bufonis couldn't compete for food so I couldn't wean them off live goldfish. Even the large black one refused everything but live feeders. Obviously others have had success converting them off live, more likely if kept alone and you can make more of an effort than perhaps I did. They don't cruise around like an c. apuensis but just kind of scoot from spot to spot if they move much at all. I don't recall them having much in the way of personality such as an apurensis or a red tail, aside from their good looks, just not all that interesting for me, anyway, but a lot depends on the keeper, the tank environment provided and at times, the individual fish. As with any pseudopimelodid, they may not always get along with their own species, but some do, don't mix them with other pseudopimelodid species and of course no tank mates smaller than themselves, especially expensive one's!
First of all, since the information available in terms of keeping this species is pretty limited it's really valuable to get input from someone like yourself with the amount of experience keeping these. Very informative and helpful reply, much appreciated.

Taking into account what you said about only accepting live fish, I think I'll set him/she up in a tank all by itself and at least give it a couple of months or so before potentionally adding anything else.

Just to clarify, if you don't mind me asking, when you said that they lived for at least 7-8 years, did they later pass away or did you end up rehoming them? Perhaps that's already stated in older threads, I might have just missed it.

Also, do you share thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter s opinion regarding tank size?

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
It's good that you intend to make the effort to get one to accept other than live feeders, you could also try live earthworms, frozen bloodworms, frozen shrimp or? Being shy and reclusive they do like driftwood, rocks or other shaded areas to feel secure during the day as well as claiming their territory before other fish are added. It's been years since I kept them, they may have lived even longer than 7 or 8 years, they did pass away due to equipment failure like a heater being stuck in the on position in one case, sadly. As far as tank size goes, mine did fine in a 60 gallon tank, they only grow to about 7-8 inches, kept at an average water temp around 74 to 78 degrees and a PH of 6.5. Were you to see a c. apurensis in your future, they will grow to 18" in a couple of years, then grow to 24" or so over time and would require a tank quite a bit wider and deeper than that, meaning something in the 300+ gallon range as a minimum and much larger would be better...

Tain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
It's good that you intend to make the effort to get one to accept other than live feeders, you could also try live earthworms, frozen bloodworms, frozen shrimp or? Being shy and reclusive they do like driftwood, rocks or other shaded areas to feel secure during the day as well as claiming their territory before other fish are added. It's been years since I kept them, they may have lived even longer than 7 or 8 years, they did pass away due to equipment failure like a heater being stuck in the on position in one case, sadly. As far as tank size goes, mine did fine in a 60 gallon tank, they only grow to about 7-8 inches, kept at an average water temp around 74 to 78 degrees and a PH of 6.5. Were you to see a c. apurensis in your future, they will grow to 18" in a couple of years, then grow to 24" or so over time and would require a tank quite a bit wider and deeper than that, meaning something in the 300+ gallon range as a minimum and much larger would be better...
I'll definitely try that! Sorry to hear about yours passing away.

From what I can tell there shouldn't be any major difference in behaviour with keeping a single specimen alone in a tank, so that's probably what I'll do. Maybe that'll add to the chances of making it feel more comfortable. Time will tell.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
If your gonna buy one aquaImports has some right now here is the link.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store