Pseudoplatystoma orinocoense pics. Rare TSN?

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Ok. Finally got my new guys settled in and eating in their new home. Ill post pics periodically as I get the hang of my new go pro. Trying underwater photography with it and still learning the software. What do you guys think. Ill get some better pics showing the stripes and markings soon. Anyone else have this species in their tank?

shovelnose.jpg

Reactions: wednesday13

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
It is about 5 inches now. It is what the species was labeled as from the seller, Jeff Rapps (tangledupincichlids.com) They are wild caught. I was asking in another thread how to determine for sure that it is the correct species but was told I will need to wait til they are bigger. For now I will have to assume they were correctly caught and labeled.

Reactions: Chicxulub

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
looks promising so far... glad 2 see its settled in and eating for u already, nice work! as for any more info on an i.d. ull have 2 just keep posting pics as the weeks/months go on as u are the first to aquire this sp. Things to keep an eye on are head shape and pattern. Pattern will change dramatically as the fish grows and will make it hard to tell for sure until the fish is 18-24".... i will note that from what im seeing first glance is the head appears to be rather large compared to the norm so this is a good sign. Excited to see this guy develop for u! keep up on pics and ill keep an eye on ur thread. I currently own 3 of the 5 sp. of TSN so ill b able to cross them off the list so to speak as he grows. Right now we know its not a p. corruscans for sure so 4 more 2 cross off in time lol... good luck! and nice pickup!

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Anything coming from Jeff Rapps or Wesley Wong is legit in my book! I only asked because we regularly get threads like this where people's only distinguishing metric is "It kinda looks like one". I'm excited to see what comes from this guy!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Anything coming from Jeff Rapps or Wesley Wong is legit in my book! I only asked because we regularly get threads like this where people's only distinguishing metric is "It kinda looks like one". I'm excited to see what comes from this guy!
agreed... id say its 50/50 at this point with what we know (i.e. being wild caught)... im sure their ranges overlap so theres still room for debate on what it could be. I dont wanna call it 2 early as its almost impossible 2 tell at this size but atm im leaning towards p. retic. That head and dark brown base color looks a bit 2 farmiliar. i hope not lol.. way 2 early 2 know for sure tho. sooo... now we wait :)

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Jeff has some amazing and rare fish for sale. Its a shame we cant go to his place and see what he has in person. He was kind enough to meet me in person though. Ill get a few better pics tomorrow. Hoping they were correctly identified because I chose this species based on their max size being half that of most shovelnose varieties. Now I need a source for some peacock bass around 5 inches and ill be set.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Ok so looking at these guys again tonight they are more like 6-7 inches nose to tail. They eat every other day since Sunday. I kinda feel bad but when I went to pick up tilapia fillets on Sunday I grabbed the smallest pack in the case and it turns out they were catfish fillets. They seem to like it. Lol. The rest of their time is spent stacked inside a big shipwreck in my 180 gallon tank. As of right now if I didn't tell u there were fish in there u wouldn't know. They come out late at night to look for food. Just fed them for the night so I probably won't see them til Thursday again. I'm assuming this is normal behavior. Also noted they skipped over a piece of fillet I dropped in Sunday and only ate what I put in today. Gotta get that out tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store